Ludovic Courtès writes: > Hi bill-auger, > > bill-auger skribis: > >> re: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-02/msg00009.html >> >> i would like to remind readers of the guix-devel list that it was >> discussed some months ago, why no FSDG distros currently distribute >> chromium[1] - it appeared at that time, that most people in that >> discussion were in agreement that chromium should not be included in >> guix; and marius was instead hosting it in a private repo, as not to >> taint the main guix repos with dubious software - has there been a >> notable break-through since then? > > It’s not entirely clear to me what the problems are, to be honest. > Marius listed specific issues that were addressed by the patches; others > then pointed out at additional issues that ungoogled-chromium fixes, > which Marius took into account; what’s left now? Indeed, the only real breakthrough is that we now have a script to create an Ungooglified source tarball with all unnecessary third_party components removed. The compressed tarball is smaller than that of IceCat and takes up around 2.1 GiB uncompressed, roughly 1GiB of which is third_party stuff. That leaves "just" over 1GiB of source code to audit (assuming my third_party audit is correct). I haven't been able to find any proprietary parts in first party code, and am convinced that the remaining third_party components are free, hence this patch. I am of course happy to help other FSDG distributions liberate their Chromium too.