Some limitations: (require "fennelview") – i.e. requiring the library distributed with the language – does not work. I spoke with members of freenode's #fennel and a FENNEL_PATH could be added. In a future package definition, wrap-program would set that variable. In the meantime, this can be worked around: fennel --add-fennel-path "$(guix build fennel )/share/?.fnl" No native readline support. I have decided not to package https://luarocks.org/modules/peterbillam/readline as fennel 0.2.1's use of readline does not give more functionality than rlwrap.