Hi, >> Questions: >> >> - Do manifests really need the store path? >> - Same question about propagated-inputs. Aren't they already encoded in >> the package definition? Why repeating them here? > > This ‘manifest’ file exists mostly for one purpose: to allow incremental > operations on a profile with ‘guix upgrade’, ‘guix install’, and so on. > If ‘--manifest’ were the only way to build a profile, this ‘manifest’ > file would (almost) not be needed. (Actually it’s also needed for > ‘--list-installed’.) Makes sense. So what's the take-away of this thread? 1. Simon suggested to add options to convert the manifest to the user-friendly specification file (i.e. something compatible with the --manifest option). What about this instead: systematically generate this "specification" file in every profile? This way no need for extra command line options, the work is already done for the user. "To reproduce a profile" would boil down to passing around this specification file. 2. On December 2, Simon mentioned Ludo's suggestion (from https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-11/msg00285.html) that we added a "guix channel" subcommand for channel management. Shall we open 2 bugs for these? -- Pierre Neidhardt https://ambrevar.xyz/