On 2020-01-14, Pierre Neidhardt wrote: > I just wrote a short draft which hopefully should explain in layman > terms why Guix matters. Thanks, it's a nice read! > * Open source is not enough > > We might be tempted to think that free open source software gives us > transparency about what's in the application. While the compiled application we ... > In practice this means that it's almost always impossible to /reproduce/ the > exact same compiled application that is offered for download. I object a bit to "almost always impossible" :P There are a number of projects that have achieved reproducibility for a majority of the distributed software, including small to large-sized distributions. Even a few small projects that manage 100% reproducibility. How about "often difficult" instead? > * Trust all the way > > To sum up, we need the following properties in order to be able to trust > computer software: ... > - Separate multi-user application collections: on a multi-user system, every > user can install their favourite applications independently. Applications > don't "pollute" the other user sessions. I wonder if most people even undertsand the concept of a multi-user system all that well? might be worth leaving out to keep the talking points short... > * Can everyone use Guix? ... > More work needs to be done in terms of accessibility and easy of use so that the > less technically-minded among us can also enjoy Guix some day. Then, hopefully, > we will find Guix preinstalled on computers, ready for everyone to use. "easy of use" -> "ease of use" live well, vagrant