Charles skribis: >> I think it's the philosophy of GNU Guix to use references to the store > > You're right, I see now: "propagated-inputs is useful is for languages that > lack a facility to record the run-time search path". Common Lisp has > asdf:*central-registry*. It still seems to me that propogated inputs is > more intuitive and is more portable to guix on forgein linux distributions. > I have a Centos system with guix package manager, and I had to install every > dependency manually for some packages. > > Also it still doesn't fully work for me. I deleted my custom init-file. > Attatched is my shell session where I tryto use the sbcl-cl-str package. > In short: package cannot be found in ad-hoc environment; package is found > if installed, but is compiled with an newer version of sbcl: weird, but also > probably unrelated. From the error in your shell session: --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8--- ASDF could not load str because # is a fasl file compiled with SBCL 2.1.6, and can't be loaded into SBCL 2.1.5. --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8--- it looks like your are trying to use the SBCL from the foreign distribution (version 2.1.5) to load libraries compiled with the SBCL from Guix (version 2.1.6). I think this is also why it fails to find dependencies. The ASDF used by the Common Lisp implementations packaged in Guix has a little patch making it able to find dependencies in "/gnu/store/...". The foreign SBCL will not have that automatically (it would have to load the "share/common-lisp/source/asdf/asdf.lisp" file from the cl-asdf package to use the patched ASDF). You should add sbcl to your Guix profile/environment as it will be able to find the dependencies and use the precompiled libraries. If you really need to use the SBCL from the foreign distribution, you could use the source cl-xxx packages instead of the precompiled sbcl-xxx packages to avoid SBCL version mismatch. However this means that the foreign SBCL will have to compile everything (usually into "$HOME/.cache/common-lisp/...").