Leo Famulari writes: > [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]] > On Sat, Sep 11, 2021 at 12:56:37PM +0100, Pierre Langlois wrote: >> I just tried out 5.14.2 on my rockpro64 (rk3399 chip) and ethernet isn't >> working :-/. It probably also affects the pinebook pro. >> >> Doing a bit of searching, I see it was reported upstream and this patch >> introduced the issue https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-arm-kernel/patch/20210823143754.14294-1-michael.riesch@wolfvision.net/ >> >> I see Manjaro has patched their kernel to revert the patch as well: >> https://gitlab.manjaro.org/manjaro-arm/packages/core/linux/-/commit/5e87e6f3b764d64bbb5b183e379a5fe64c3646ad > > Thanks for the report! > >> I suppose we could also apply that patch, although I'm sure it'll get >> fixed upstream in a point release. We probably don't want to delay the 5.14 >> switch too much, maybe we could keep the linux-libre-5.13 variable >> around for a little longer though? If not, I'm sure I could just use >> 5.10 though. > > When they are two stable kernels [0], I typically keep the previous > stable kernel as the Guix "default" until it stops being supported > upstream, and then the latest stable kernel is made the default, and the > older one is removed from Guix. Oh I didn't know that, I thought we may switch to 5.14 earlier, that's very sensible :-). > > I see in the upstream report that Sasha Levin is aware of the problem, > and he is one of the stable kernel maintainers. So 5.13 should continue > to work, and 5.14 should be fixed soon. > > We don't usually patch our kernels except for really critical problems; > We use the stable and long-term support releases directly from upstream > in order to avoid the old-school "custom distro kernel" thing. Yeah I agree, the patch may fix the rk3399 ethernet but could break other platforms, we don't know what the right fix should be. > > How about we keep things as they are now, and then reconsider if 5.13 is > due for removal and the bug still exists in 5.14? I think that most > rk3399 users in Guix should be okay for now, since the default kernel, > 5.13, still works for them, right? Sounds like a plan! Thanks, Pierre