all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#52682: installer freezes when ci.guix.gnu.org cannot be reached
@ 2021-12-20 17:13 Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2021-12-20 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 52682

Today I got another chance to try the installer.  I first used the
latest installer image from today (which failed to install Guix because
of a test failure) and then fell back to the 1.3.0 installer image.

Both installers had the same behavior when it came to accessing
ci.guix.gnu.org for substitutes.  I ran the installer on a new build
node, which cannot access ci.guix.gnu.org through the public IP
address.  I forgot to add a line to /etc/hosts to resolve
ci.guix.gnu.org to the local IP.  When I started the installation it
would print two lines and then seemingly freeze.

There was no timeout either.  When the installer is killed and restarted
it fails with other errors that I didn’t record.  I had to reboot and
remember to make the change to /etc/hosts first before starting the
installation.

--
Ricardo

* bug#52682: installer freezes when ci.guix.gnu.org cannot be reached
@ 2021-12-28  8:59 ` Mathieu Othacehe
From: Mathieu Othacehe @ 2021-12-28  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: 52682

Hey Ricardo,

> address.  I forgot to add a line to /etc/hosts to resolve
> ci.guix.gnu.org to the local IP.  When I started the installation it
> would print two lines and then seemingly freeze.

I can replicate this issue in a VM, by disconnecting the host network in
the middle of the installation.

I can also replicate it by running a "guix system init
~/guix/gnu/system/examples/desktop.tmpl /tmp" and blocking Berlin IP
while the command is running, this way: "sudo iptables -A INPUT -s
141.80.181.40 -j DROP". The init command hangs forever.

So looks like the freeze issue goes beyond the installer frame and is
more a Guix issue.

In the meantime, we could also extend the installer connectivity check
to make sure that ci.guix.gnu.org is available before proceeding to the
installation.

Thanks,

Mathieu

* bug#52682: installer freezes when ci.guix.gnu.org cannot be reached
@ 2021-12-28 10:29   ` Mathieu Othacehe
From: Mathieu Othacehe @ 2021-12-28 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: 52682

> In the meantime, we could also extend the installer connectivity check
> to make sure that ci.guix.gnu.org is available before proceeding to the
> installation.

There's a proposed patch here: 5bc897e0496ff415e653c509ca3b68466e0ed771.

Thanks,

Mathieu

* bug#52682: installer freezes when ci.guix.gnu.org cannot be reached
@ 2022-01-14 13:39     ` Mathieu Othacehe
From: Mathieu Othacehe @ 2022-01-14 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: 52682-done

> There's a proposed patch here: 5bc897e0496ff415e653c509ca3b68466e0ed771.

Pushed as ee897e5f51104f41b3c2a0c2cbc7eb4e6c1e4d3e. The core issue
remains, but the installer won't let you install if ci.guix.gnu.org
cannot be reached, preventing the freeze.

I think we can close this one, as the freeze issue is now reported here:
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/52845.

Thanks,

Mathieu