all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Application Request
@ 2016-04-18  8:08 akhilesh
From: akhilesh @ 2016-04-18  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

This is a general list of applications I use and would like to see it being
made for the gnu guix project. I'm not a developer, otherwise I would try
doing it myself .

tor-browser
gummi
synapse
liferea
focus writer
winusb
yakuake
gpodder
firejail
qownnotes
livestreamer
copay bitcoin wallet
krita
konversation
kdenlive
Shashlik, an android emulator

I'm not sure if the KDE is part of the guix project, but I really like KDE-
connect and a few kde applications, so would like to see them as well :)

Thanks for your efforts and contributions.

* Re: Application Request
@ 2016-04-18 16:14 ` John Darrington
From: John Darrington @ 2016-04-18 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: akhilesh; +Cc: guix-devel

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 01:38:14PM +0530, akhilesh wrote:
     This is a general list of applications I use and would like to see it being
     made for the gnu guix project. I'm not a developer, otherwise I would try
     doing it myself .

One of the nice things about guix, is that (compared to other distros at least) it
is relatively easy to package most things.  In many cases a copy/paste from some
similar package with some minor touch up does the job.  There are exceptions of
course, but in general it doesn't need a great deal of developer expertise.

J'

--
Avoid eavesdropping.  Send strong encryted email.
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3

* Re: Application Request
@ 2016-04-18 16:24 ` ng0
From: ng0 @ 2016-04-18 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: akhilesh; +Cc: guix-devel

akhilesh <akhilesh@openmailbox.org> writes:

> This is a general list of applications I use and would like to see it being
> made for the gnu guix project. I'm not a developer, otherwise I would try
> doing it myself .
>
> tor-browser

this one is on my todo list, should be relatively easy with the
knowledge about packaging tor-browser for gentoo.
If you want to proceed with this you can message me for further
questions, as I have this scheduled for june or at least after a
set of more important tasks.

> gummi
> synapse
> liferea
> focus writer
> winusb
> yakuake
> gpodder
> firejail
> qownnotes
> livestreamer
> copay bitcoin wallet
> krita
> konversation
> kdenlive
> Shashlik, an android emulator

Emulators can get tricky. If it has sandboxing, there's a thread
where I described a work-in-progress sandboxed server
application.
GuixSD requires some rethinking of patterns one might be used
to.

> I'm not sure if the KDE is part of the guix project, but I really like KDE-
> connect and a few kde applications, so would like to see them as well :)

Not yet, but the effort to package KDE environment shall be
undertaken one day.

@ 2016-04-18 17:21   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-04-18 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ng0; +Cc: guix-devel, akhilesh

ng0 <ng0@libertad.pw> skribis:

> akhilesh <akhilesh@openmailbox.org> writes:
>
>> This is a general list of applications I use and would like to see it being
>> made for the gnu guix project. I'm not a developer, otherwise I would try
>> doing it myself .
>>
>> tor-browser
>
> this one is on my todo list, should be relatively easy with the
> knowledge about packaging tor-browser for gentoo.

I offer the (virtual) beverage their choice to whoever does this!  :-)

Ludo’.

* Re: Application Request
@ 2016-04-18 17:32     ` ng0
From: ng0 @ 2016-04-18 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel, akhilesh

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> ng0 <ng0@libertad.pw> skribis:
>
>> akhilesh <akhilesh@openmailbox.org> writes:
>>
>>> This is a general list of applications I use and would like to see it being
>>> made for the gnu guix project. I'm not a developer, otherwise I would try
>>> doing it myself .
>>>
>>> tor-browser
>>
>> this one is on my todo list, should be relatively easy with the
>> knowledge about packaging tor-browser for gentoo.
>
> I offer the (virtual) beverage their choice to whoever does this!  :-)
>
> Ludo’.

I have the recipe worked out in theory, but the roadmap leading
to it is:

- {gnunet,gnunet-gtk,gnurl} -> gentoo portage
  - gnunet,gnunet-gtk temporary snapshots
  --> 95% fixed
- finish {gnunet,gnunet-gtk,gnurl} patch bundle guix
  --> 90% fixed
- write gnunet-service for guix
- maybes
  - start writing the git-tor class for layman
- time consumers
  - move development system inside VM

- start the tor-browser -> guix writing

Generally the browser should be okay in licenses.
I consider gnunet-service more important than the browser.

--
♥Ⓐ ng0