all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* M-x guix bug
@ 2016-06-28 10:29 John J Foerch
From: John J Foerch @ 2016-06-28 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello,

On a fresh guix installation with only a few packages installed, M-x
guix in emacs produced the following error:

  Cannot open load file: no such file or directory, magit-popup

It seems that guix's emacs components have an unlisted magit dependency.

--
John Foerch

* Re: M-x guix bug
@ 2016-06-28 21:58 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-06-28 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John J Foerch; +Cc: help-guix

Hi!

John J Foerch <jjfoerch@earthlink.net> skribis:

> On a fresh guix installation with only a few packages installed, M-x
> guix in emacs produced the following error:
>
>   Cannot open load file: no such file or directory, magit-popup
>
> It seems that guix's emacs components have an unlisted magit dependency.

The dependency is documented (info "(guix) Emacs Initial Setup"), but
note that it’s only necessary if you use the M-x guix popup.

Without magit-popup, you can still use M-x
guix-newest-available-packages, M-x guix-prettify-mode, M-x
guix-licenses, and so on.

HTH!

Ludo’.

* Re: M-x guix bug
@ 2016-06-29  1:43   ` John J Foerch
From: John J Foerch @ 2016-06-29  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Hi!
>
> John J Foerch <jjfoerch@earthlink.net> skribis:
>
>> On a fresh guix installation with only a few packages installed, M-x
>> guix in emacs produced the following error:
>>
>>   Cannot open load file: no such file or directory, magit-popup
>>
>> It seems that guix's emacs components have an unlisted magit dependency.
>
> The dependency is documented (info "(guix) Emacs Initial Setup"), but
> note that it’s only necessary if you use the M-x guix popup.
>
> Without magit-popup, you can still use M-x
> guix-newest-available-packages, M-x guix-prettify-mode, M-x
> guix-licenses, and so on.
>
> HTH!
>
> Ludo’.

Okay, good to know.  I think that a helpful message instead of an error
would be appropriate, or perhaps some way of not exposing the 'guix'
command if magit is not installed.

Thank you,

--
John Foerch

* Re: M-x guix bug
@ 2016-06-30 14:38     ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2016-06-30 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John J Foerch; +Cc: help-guix

John J Foerch (2016-06-29 04:43 +0300) wrote:

> ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> John J Foerch <jjfoerch@earthlink.net> skribis:
>>
>>> On a fresh guix installation with only a few packages installed, M-x
>>> guix in emacs produced the following error:
>>>
>>>   Cannot open load file: no such file or directory, magit-popup
>>>
>>> It seems that guix's emacs components have an unlisted magit dependency.
>>
>> The dependency is documented (info "(guix) Emacs Initial Setup"), but
>> note that it’s only necessary if you use the M-x guix popup.
>>
>> Without magit-popup, you can still use M-x
>> guix-newest-available-packages, M-x guix-prettify-mode, M-x
>> guix-licenses, and so on.
>
> Okay, good to know.  I think that a helpful message instead of an error
> would be appropriate, or perhaps some way of not exposing the 'guix'
> command if magit is not installed.

I think the right thing would be to make "M-x guix" work by default.
This can be done simply by adding 'magit-popup' dependency (i.e., by
adding it to 'propagated-inputs') to our 'guix' package.  But if I
understood correctly, Ludovic wouldn't like to do it:
<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-08/msg00576.html>

--
Alex

* Re: M-x guix bug
@ 2016-06-30 17:16       ` myglc2
From: myglc2 @ 2016-06-30 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com> writes:

> John J Foerch (2016-06-29 04:43 +0300) wrote:
>
>> ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> John J Foerch <jjfoerch@earthlink.net> skribis:

>>> The dependency is documented (info "(guix) Emacs Initial Setup"), but
>>> note that it’s only necessary if you use the M-x guix popup.
>>>
>>> Without magit-popup, you can still use M-x
>>> guix-newest-available-packages, M-x guix-prettify-mode, M-x
>>> guix-licenses, and so on.
>>
>> Okay, good to know.  I think that a helpful message instead of an error
>> would be appropriate, or perhaps some way of not exposing the 'guix'
>> command if magit is not installed.
>
> I think the right thing would be to make "M-x guix" work by default.
> This can be done simply by adding 'magit-popup' dependency (i.e., by
> adding it to 'propagated-inputs') to our 'guix' package.

I agree. I don't use magit popup, but IMO, the less installation &/or
config required to enable features described in the manual, the better.

> But if I
> understood correctly, Ludovic wouldn't like to do it:
> <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-08/msg00576.html>

Looked at this tread but don't see this point made.

* Re: M-x guix bug
@ 2016-06-30 17:46       ` John J Foerch
From: John J Foerch @ 2016-06-30 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com> writes:

> John J Foerch (2016-06-29 04:43 +0300) wrote:
>
>> ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> John J Foerch <jjfoerch@earthlink.net> skribis:

>>> The dependency is documented (info "(guix) Emacs Initial Setup"), but
>>> note that it’s only necessary if you use the M-x guix popup.
>>>
>>> Without magit-popup, you can still use M-x
>>> guix-newest-available-packages, M-x guix-prettify-mode, M-x
>>> guix-licenses, and so on.
>>
>> Okay, good to know.  I think that a helpful message instead of an error
>> would be appropriate, or perhaps some way of not exposing the 'guix'
>> command if magit is not installed.
>
> I think the right thing would be to make "M-x guix" work by default.
> This can be done simply by adding 'magit-popup' dependency (i.e., by
> adding it to 'propagated-inputs') to our 'guix' package.  But if I
> understood correctly, Ludovic wouldn't like to do it:
> <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-08/msg00576.html>

Another option could be to degrade gracefully to an alternative UI, such
as a simple minibuffer prompt.

--
John Foerch

* Re: M-x guix bug
@ 2016-06-30 21:21       ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-06-30 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Kost; +Cc: help-guix, John J Foerch

Hello,

Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com> skribis:

> I think the right thing would be to make "M-x guix" work by default.
> This can be done simply by adding 'magit-popup' dependency (i.e., by
> adding it to 'propagated-inputs') to our 'guix' package.  But if I
> understood correctly, Ludovic wouldn't like to do it:
> <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-08/msg00576.html>

There are two separate issues here: one is the ‘guix’ package in Guix,
and another one is the required dependencies for those building from
source.

I’d rather have magit-popup be an optional dependency for someone
building from source.

I wouldn’t mind adding magit-popup as a dependency of the ‘guix’ package
in Guix if magit-popup were a separate package.  Currently, we’d need to
have ‘guix’ depend on ‘magit’, which is pretty big since it depends on
‘git’; not great.  Can magit-popup be made a separate package?

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: M-x guix bug
@ 2016-07-01  2:48         ` myglc2
From: myglc2 @ 2016-07-01  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Hello,
>
> Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com> skribis:
>
>> I think the right thing would be to make "M-x guix" work by default.
>> This can be done simply by adding 'magit-popup' dependency (i.e., by
>> adding it to 'propagated-inputs') to our 'guix' package.  But if I
>> understood correctly, Ludovic wouldn't like to do it:
>> <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-08/msg00576.html>
>
> There are two separate issues here: one is the ‘guix’ package in Guix,
> and another one is the required dependencies for those building from
> source.
>
> I’d rather have magit-popup be an optional dependency for someone
> building from source.

But guix' use of magit-popup is useful even if one isn't building from
source, isn't it?

> I wouldn’t mind adding magit-popup as a dependency of the ‘guix’ package
> in Guix if magit-popup were a separate package.  Currently, we’d need to
> have ‘guix’ depend on ‘magit’, which is pretty big since it depends on
> ‘git’; not great.  Can magit-popup be made a separate package?

Alternatively, how about adding magit to guix and creating a guix-lite
variation for space constrained users?

* Re: M-x guix bug
@ 2016-07-01  9:02         ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2016-07-01  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix, John J Foerch

Ludovic Courtès (2016-07-01 00:21 +0300) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com> skribis:
>
>> I think the right thing would be to make "M-x guix" work by default.
>> This can be done simply by adding 'magit-popup' dependency (i.e., by
>> adding it to 'propagated-inputs') to our 'guix' package.  But if I
>> understood correctly, Ludovic wouldn't like to do it:
>> <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-08/msg00576.html>
>
> There are two separate issues here: one is the ‘guix’ package in Guix,
> and another one is the required dependencies for those building from
> source.
>
> I’d rather have magit-popup be an optional dependency for someone
> building from source.

Absolutely!  I don't even know how to make it a hard dependency :-)
It is as optional as can be.

> I wouldn’t mind adding magit-popup as a dependency of the ‘guix’ package
> in Guix if magit-popup were a separate package.  Currently, we’d need to
> have ‘guix’ depend on ‘magit’, which is pretty big since it depends on
> ‘git’; not great.  Can magit-popup be made a separate package?

Sure, this is exactly what I meant in that message¹, so I wondered why
you didn't like it (apparently it was misunderstanding).  I proposed to
make 'magit-popup' package (it will depend only on 'emacs-dash' library)
and to add it to the propagated-inputs of 'guix' package.  So I'm going
to send the patches for this.

¹ http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-08/msg00164.html

--
Alex

* Re: M-x guix bug
@ 2016-07-01  9:07         ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2016-07-01  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: myglc2; +Cc: help-guix

myglc2 (2016-06-30 20:16 +0300) wrote:

> Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com> writes:
[...]
>> I think the right thing would be to make "M-x guix" work by default.
>> This can be done simply by adding 'magit-popup' dependency (i.e., by
>> adding it to 'propagated-inputs') to our 'guix' package.
>
> I agree. I don't use magit popup, but IMO, the less installation &/or
> config required to enable features described in the manual, the better.

It looks like it is agreed now.

>> But if I
>> understood correctly, Ludovic wouldn't like to do it:
>> <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-08/msg00576.html>
>
> Looked at this tread but don't see this point made.

Now I also don't see this point, but this is what I thought at the time :-)

--
Alex

* Re: M-x guix bug
@ 2016-07-01  9:30           ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-07-01  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Kost; +Cc: help-guix, John J Foerch

Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès (2016-07-01 00:21 +0300) wrote:

[...]

>> I wouldn’t mind adding magit-popup as a dependency of the ‘guix’ package
>> in Guix if magit-popup were a separate package.  Currently, we’d need to
>> have ‘guix’ depend on ‘magit’, which is pretty big since it depends on
>> ‘git’; not great.  Can magit-popup be made a separate package?
>
> Sure, this is exactly what I meant in that message¹, so I wondered why
> you didn't like it (apparently it was misunderstanding).

I think I had just overlooked this part of the message, my bad!

> I proposed to make 'magit-popup' package (it will depend only on
> 'emacs-dash' library) and to add it to the propagated-inputs of 'guix'
> package.  So I'm going to send the patches for this.

Awesome, thanks!

Ludo’.