all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Mount /tmp as tmpfs?
@ 2018-05-17 17:03 Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2018-05-17 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix@gnu.org

I was wondering if it's commendable to mount /tmp as tmpfs with GuixSD.
I think it could be useful to speed up Guix builds.

What would be the best way to do so?
Can't test now, but what about

     (file-system
       (mount-point "/tmp")
       (device "tmpfs")
       (type "tmpfs")
       (flags '(no-dev no-suid))

?

--
Pierre Neidhardt

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Mount /tmp as tmpfs?
@ 2018-05-17 18:21 ` Clément Lassieur
From: Clément Lassieur @ 2018-05-17 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: help-guix@gnu.org

Pierre Neidhardt <ambrevar@gmail.com> writes:

> I was wondering if it's commendable to mount /tmp as tmpfs with GuixSD.
> I think it could be useful to speed up Guix builds.
>
> What would be the best way to do so?
> Can't test now, but what about
>
>      (file-system
>        (mount-point "/tmp")
>        (device "tmpfs")
>        (type "tmpfs")
>        (flags '(no-dev no-suid))
>
> ?

I use:

(file-system
  (mount-point "/tmp")
  (device "none")
  (title 'device)
  (type "tmpfs")
  (check? #f))

And it works perfectly.

* Re: Mount /tmp as tmpfs?
@ 2018-05-17 18:26   ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2018-05-17 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clément Lassieur; +Cc: help-guix@gnu.org

Thanks!

--
Pierre Neidhardt

Spiritual leadership should remain spiritual leadership and the temporal
power should not become too important in any church.
- Eleanor Roosevelt

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Mount /tmp as tmpfs?
@ 2018-05-18 10:53 ` Nils Gillmann
From: Nils Gillmann @ 2018-05-18 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: help-guix@gnu.org

Pierre Neidhardt transcribed 998 bytes:

> I was wondering if it's commendable to mount /tmp as tmpfs with GuixSD.
> I think it could be useful to speed up Guix builds.

Guix maybe, for a developer system you run out of RAM for everything
that has serious demands in RAM and/or Diskspace for building.

If waste of writes is your concern, getting a separate disk for
/tmp is a good choice. As long as you don't have to build big
applications from source/without substitutes tmpfs is alright.

Been there, tried that and considered it now only for machines that
will never build anything big.

> What would be the best way to do so?
> Can't test now, but what about
>
>      (file-system
>        (mount-point "/tmp")
>        (device "tmpfs")
>        (type "tmpfs")
>        (flags '(no-dev no-suid))
>
> ?
>
> --
> Pierre Neidhardt

* Re: Mount /tmp as tmpfs?
@ 2018-05-18 11:20   ` Clément Lassieur
From: Clément Lassieur @ 2018-05-18 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nils Gillmann; +Cc: help-guix@gnu.org

Nils Gillmann <ng0@n0.is> writes:

> Pierre Neidhardt transcribed 998 bytes:
>>
>> I was wondering if it's commendable to mount /tmp as tmpfs with GuixSD.
>> I think it could be useful to speed up Guix builds.
>
> Guix maybe, for a developer system you run out of RAM for everything
> that has serious demands in RAM and/or Diskspace for building.
>
> If waste of writes is your concern, getting a separate disk for
> /tmp is a good choice. As long as you don't have to build big
> applications from source/without substitutes tmpfs is alright.
>
> Been there, tried that and considered it now only for machines that
> will never build anything big.

Well yes, my tmpfs works perfectly, but I forgot to say that I have 128G
RAM.

* Re: Mount /tmp as tmpfs?
@ 2018-05-18 11:22   ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2018-05-18 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)