all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* wpa-supplicant service configuration. Guile is hard
@ 2019-04-04 19:26 znavko
From: znavko @ 2019-04-04 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help Guix

Hello! I am so novice in Guile.
I have trouble trying to add wpa-supplicant configuration to my config. I get this error:

# guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm
guix system: error: service 'wpa-supplicant' provided more than once
Please, let me know where to place my wpa-config lines?

[-- Attachment #2: config-wpa-notworls.scm --]
[-- Type: text/x-scheme, Size: 4045 bytes --]

;;this is znavko's cute config

(use-modules (gnu) (gnu system nss)
             (gnu system locale) ;;for locale-definition
             (gnu services desktop)
             ;;(gnu services dns) ;;for dnsmasq
             (srfi srfi-1) ;;for remove function
             (gnu services networking) ;;for remove ntp
             (gnu services avahi) ;;for remove avahi
             (gnu services xorg)
             ;;(gnu services databases);;for postgres
             (gnu packages admin) ;;for wpa_supplicant
)
(use-service-modules desktop)
(use-package-modules certs gnome)

;;(define %redundant-linux-modules '("pcspkr" "snd_pcsp"))

(operating-system (host-name "antelope") (timezone "Europe/Moscow") (locale "en_US.utf8")
  (bootloader (bootloader-configuration
                (bootloader grub-bootloader)
                (target "/dev/sda")))
  (file-systems (cons (file-system
                        (device "/dev/sda1") (mount-point "/") (type "ext4"))
                      %base-file-systems))
  (swap-devices '("/dev/sda2"))

  (users (cons* (user-account (name "bob") (group "users")
                (supplementary-groups '("wheel" "netdev" "audio" "video"))
                (home-directory "/home/bob"))
                (user-account (name "mom") (group "users")
                (supplementary-groups '("wheel" "netdev" "audio" "video"))
                (home-directory "/home/mom"))
               %base-user-accounts))

  ;; This is where we specify system-wide packages.
  (packages (cons* nss-certs         ;for HTTPS access
                   gvfs              ;for user mounts
		   ;;wpa-supplicant
		   isc-dhcp
                   %base-packages))

  (services (cons*
                    ;;(service postgresql-service-type)
                    (service xfce-desktop-service-type)
                    (service wpa-supplicant-service-type
                      (wpa-supplicant-configuration
                        (config-file "/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf")))

                    (modify-services
                      (remove (lambda (service)
                        (eq? (service-kind service)
                          ntp-service-type))
                         (remove (lambda (service)
                           (eq? (service-kind service)
                             avahi-service-type))

                              (modify-services
                                (modify-services %desktop-services
                                  (slim-service-type config =>
                                    (slim-configuration
                                      (xorg-configuration
                                        (xorg-configuration
                                          (extra-config

'("Section \"InputClass\"
        Identifier \"touchpad\"
        Driver \"libinput\"
        MatchIsTouchpad \"on\"
        Option \"Tapping\" \"on\"
EndSection")
                                            )))))
                                 )  ;end of modify-services 3rd

                                 (wpa-supplicant-service-type config =>
                                   (wpa-supplicant-configuration
                                     (config-file "/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf")))

                               )  ;end of modify-services 2nd

                            )  ;end of remove avahi
                          )  ;end of remove2 ntp
                      (elogind-service-type
                        c => (elogind-configuration (handle-lid-switch 'ignore)))
                    );;end of modify-services 1st desktop-services
  ));;end of services

  ;; Allow resolution of '.local' host names with mDNS.
  (name-service-switch %mdns-host-lookup-nss)

 (kernel-arguments '("modprobe.blacklist=pcspkr,snd_pcsp"))
 ;(kernel-arguments
 ;    (list (string-append "modprobe.blacklist="
 ;                         (apply comma-separated
 ;   %redundant-linux-modules))))

);;end of operating-system

* Re: wpa-supplicant service configuration. Guile is hard
@ 2019-04-04 20:01 ` Quiliro Ordonez
From: Quiliro Ordonez @ 2019-04-04 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

El 2019-04-04 19:26, znavko@tutanota.com escribió:
> Hello! I am so novice in Guile.
>
> I have trouble trying to add wpa-supplicant configuration to my
> config. I get this error:
>
> # guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm
> guix system: error: service 'wpa-supplicant' provided more than once

Yes! I get this message on boot when I have a failed networking.service

* Re: wpa-supplicant service configuration. Guile is hard
       [not found] <LbdoDpd--3-1@tutanota.com-LbdrIe9----1>
@ 2019-04-04 20:36 ` znavko
       [not found] ` <Lbe0PNU--3-1@tutanota.com-Lbe3LhE----1>
From: znavko @ 2019-04-04 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Znavko; +Cc: Help Guix

Hi! There actually were wpa-supplicant config twice. The necessary one is in the (modify-services) section. I rest only  that one. And it works. But the network is not working, cause dhcpd is not configured. I really want to get around
"dhcpcd@.service causes slow startup" https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dhcpcd <https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dhcpcd>

Would you give some advises how to prevent slow booting? How to set timeout on wpa-supplicant service and dhcpcd that they'll start after slim shows me auth form?

My actual manual network start is this:

# cat startnet
#!/bin/sh

#connect to wi-fi through wpa_supplicant

herd stop wpa-supplicant
rfkill unblock wifi
wpa_supplicant -B -i wlp2s0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
sleep 2
dhclient -v wlp2s0

May be I can use dhclient service or something like that instead of dhcpcd?

I attached my current workable config, but dhcpcd is commented there. Also I do not know how to write dhcpd.conf for my case?

Apr 4, 2019, 7:26 PM by znavko@tutanota.com:

> Hello! I am so novice in Guile.
> I have trouble trying to add wpa-supplicant configuration to my config. I get this error:
>
> # guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm
> guix system: error: service 'wpa-supplicant' provided more than once
>
> Please, let me know where to place my wpa-config lines?

[-- Attachment #2: config-wpa-dhcp.conf --]

[...]

                    ;;(service dhcpd-service-type
                    ;;  (dhcpd-configuration
                    ;;    (config-file  (local-file "/etc/dhcpd.conf"))
                    ;;    (interfaces '("wlp2s0"))))

@ 2019-04-05  9:41   ` znavko
From: znavko @ 2019-04-05  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Znavko; +Cc: Help Guix

Hello! I have several questions about wpa-supplicant + dhcpcd  services.

First of all I do not want to use networkmanager and I usually get Internet working manually with this:
# cat startnet
#!/bin/sh
#connect to wi-fi through wpa_supplicant
herd stop wpa-supplicant
rfkill unblock wifi
wpa_supplicant -B -i wlp2s0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
sleep 2
dhclient -v wlp2s0
#./startnet

I configured services wpa-supplicant and dhcpcd in my config.scm (in attach). Guix reconfigures my system normally, start services wpa-supplicant, networking, dhcpv4-daemon. But these services do not give me Internet. `ping gnu.org` says unknow host.

The wpa_supplicant.conf is the same as I use. But dhcpcd.conf is that from one forum.
I really do not know what to write there. ip of my router is 192.168.1.1 but the other lines are from forum.
Please, let me see how configure dhcpcd if usually I used `dhclient -v wlp2s0`.
What to type there?
Also is it ok my wpa-supplicant-service-type config?
And why I have NetworkManager in my /var/log/messages, is networkmanager living in my system? How to push it out?

Apr 4, 2019, 8:36 PM by znavko@tutanota.com:

> Hi! There actually were wpa-supplicant config twice. The necessary one is in the (modify-services) section. I rest only  that one. And it works. But the network is not working, cause dhcpd is not configured. I really want to get around
> "dhcpcd@.service causes slow startup" > https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dhcpcd <https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dhcpcd>
>
> Would you give some advises how to prevent slow booting? How to set timeout on wpa-supplicant service and dhcpcd that they'll start after slim shows me auth form?
>
> My actual manual network start is this:
>
> # cat startnet
> #!/bin/sh
>
> #connect to wi-fi through wpa_supplicant
>
> herd stop wpa-supplicant
> rfkill unblock wifi
> wpa_supplicant -B -i wlp2s0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
> sleep 2
> dhclient -v wlp2s0
>
> May be I can use dhclient service or something like that instead of dhcpcd?
>
> I attached my current workable config, but dhcpcd is commented there. Also I do not know how to write dhcpd.conf for my case?
>

> Apr 4, 2019, 7:26 PM by > znavko@tutanota.com <mailto:znavko@tutanota.com>> :
>
>> Hello! I am so novice in Guile.
>> I have trouble trying to add wpa-supplicant configuration to my config. I get this error:
>>
>> # guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm
>> guix system: error: service 'wpa-supplicant' provided more than once
>>
>> Please, let me know where to place my wpa-config lines?

[-- Attachment #2: config-wpa-dhcpcd.scm --]
[-- Type: text/x-scheme, Size: 4267 bytes --]

[...]

                    (service dhcpd-service-type
                      (dhcpd-configuration
                        (config-file (local-file "/etc/dhcpcd.conf"))
                        (interfaces '("wlp2s0"))))

                    (modify-services
                      (remove (lambda (service)
                        (eq? (service-kind service)
                          ntp-service-type))
                         (remove (lambda (service)
                           (eq? (service-kind service)
                             avahi-service-type))

                             ;; (modify-services
                                (modify-services
                                  (modify-services %desktop-services
                                    (slim-service-type config =>
                                      (slim-configuration
                                        (xorg-configuration
                                          (xorg-configuration
                                            (extra-config

'("Section \"InputClass\"
        Identifier \"touchpad\"
        Driver \"libinput\"
        MatchIsTouchpad \"on\"
        Option \"Tapping\" \"on\"
EndSection")
                                              )))))
                                   )  ;end of modify-services 4th

                                   (wpa-supplicant-service-type config =>
                                     (wpa-supplicant-configuration
                                       (interface "wlp2s0")
                                       (config-file "/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf")))

                                 )  ;end of modify-services 3rd

                               ;;)  ;end of modify-services 2nd

                            )  ;end of remove avahi
                          )  ;end of remove2 ntp
                      (elogind-service-type
                        c => (elogind-configuration (handle-lid-switch 'ignore)))
                    );;end of modify-services 1st desktop-services
  ));;end of services

  ;; Allow resolution of '.local' host names with mDNS.
  (name-service-switch %mdns-host-lookup-nss)

 (kernel-arguments '("modprobe.blacklist=pcspkr,snd_pcsp"))
 ;(kernel-arguments
 ;    (list (string-append "modprobe.blacklist="
 ;                         (apply comma-separated
 ;   %redundant-linux-modules))))

);;end of operating-system

[-- Attachment #3: wpa_supplicant.conf --]

#ctrl_interface=/run/wpa_supplicant
#ctrl_interface_group=0
#update_config=1

network={
	ssid="hiddenname"
	scan_ssid=1
        proto=WPA2
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
	psk=hashlyhashhash
}

[-- Attachment #4: dhcpcd.conf --]

#interface wlp2s0

#https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/serverguide/dhcp.html

default-lease-time 600;
max-lease-time 7200;

subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
 range 192.168.1.2 192.168.1.255;
 option routers 192.168.1.1;
 option domain-name-servers 192.168.1.1;
 option domain-name "mydomain.example";
}

[-- Attachment #5: log-messages.txt --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 2701 bytes --]

# tail -n22 /var/log/messages

Apr  5 12:32:11 localhost NetworkManager[2365]: <info>  [1554456731.8259] device (wlp2s0): supplicant interface state: authenticating -> disconnected
Apr  5 12:32:16 localhost vmunix: [ 4570.798352] wlp2s0: authenticate with xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:55
Apr  5 12:32:16 localhost vmunix: [ 4570.814242] wlp2s0: send auth to xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:55 (try 1/3)
Apr  5 12:32:16 localhost vmunix: [ 4570.816451] wlp2s0: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:55 denied authentication (status 1)
Apr  5 12:32:16 localhost NetworkManager[2365]: <info>  [1554456736.8303] device (wlp2s0): supplicant interface state: disconnected -> scanning
Apr  5 12:32:19 localhost vmunix: [ 4574.164465] wlp2s0: authenticate with xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:55
Apr  5 12:32:19 localhost vmunix: [ 4574.180508] wlp2s0: send auth to xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:55 (try 1/3)
Apr  5 12:32:19 localhost vmunix: [ 4574.183244] wlp2s0: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:55 denied authentication (status 1)
Apr  5 12:32:21 localhost vmunix: [ 4576.108663] wlp2s0: authenticate with xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:55
Apr  5 12:32:21 localhost vmunix: [ 4576.124479] wlp2s0: send auth to xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:55 (try 1/3)
Apr  5 12:32:21 localhost vmunix: [ 4576.126717] wlp2s0: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:55 denied authentication (status 1)
Apr  5 12:32:21 localhost NetworkManager[2365]: <info>  [1554456741.7345] device (wlp2s0): supplicant interface state: scanning -> authenticating
Apr  5 12:32:21 localhost NetworkManager[2365]: <info>  [1554456741.7662] device (wlp2s0): supplicant interface state: authenticating -> disconnected
Apr  5 12:32:31 localhost NetworkManager[2365]: <info>  [1554456751.7716] device (wlp2s0): supplicant interface state: disconnected -> scanning
Apr  5 12:32:40 localhost vmunix: [ 4595.013180] wlp2s0: authenticate with xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:55
Apr  5 12:32:40 localhost vmunix: [ 4595.031228] wlp2s0: send auth to xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:55 (try 1/3)
Apr  5 12:32:40 localhost vmunix: [ 4595.033446] wlp2s0: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:55 denied authentication (status 1)
Apr  5 12:32:41 localhost vmunix: [ 4596.047812] wlp2s0: authenticate with xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:55
Apr  5 12:32:41 localhost vmunix: [ 4596.063687] wlp2s0: send auth to xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:55 (try 1/3)
Apr  5 12:32:41 localhost NetworkManager[2365]: <info>  [1554456761.6727] device (wlp2s0): supplicant interface state: scanning -> authenticating
Apr  5 12:32:41 localhost vmunix: [ 4596.065800] wlp2s0: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:55 denied authentication (status 1)
Apr  5 12:32:41 localhost NetworkManager[2365]: <info>  [1554456761.7023] device (wlp2s0): supplicant interface state: authenticating -> disconnected
Apr  5 12:32:51 localhost NetworkManager[2365]: <info>  [1554456771.7037] device (wlp2s0): supplicant interface state: disconnected -> scanning

@ 2019-04-05 13:49   ` jbranso
From: jbranso @ 2019-04-05 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello,
I don't believe that network manager is the default tool that guix uses... I think I use whatever is the default and it works for me...

Does the normal guix not provide you with a working Internet connection?

April 5, 2019 5:41 AM, znavko@tutanota.com (mailto:znavko@tutanota.com) wrote:
 Hello! I have several questions about wpa-supplicant + dhcpcd services.  First of all I do not want to use networkmanager and I usually get Internet working manually with this:  # cat startnet #!/bin/sh #connect to wi-fi through wpa_supplicant herd stop wpa-supplicant rfkill unblock wifi wpa_supplicant -B -i wlp2s0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf sleep 2 dhclient -v wlp2s0  #./startnet  I configured services wpa-supplicant and dhcpcd in my config.scm (in attach). Guix reconfigures my system normally, start services wpa-supplicant, networking, dhcpv4-daemon. But these services do not give me Internet. `ping gnu.org` says unknow host.  The wpa_supplicant.conf is the same as I use. But dhcpcd.conf is that from one forum. I really do not know what to write there. ip of my router is 192.168.1.1 but the other lines are from forum. Please, let me see how configure dhcpcd if usually I used `dhclient -v wlp2s0`. What to type there? Also is it ok my wpa-supplicant-service-type config? And why I have NetworkManager in my /var/log/messages, is networkmanager living in my system? How to push it out?    Apr 4, 2019, 8:36 PM by znavko@tutanota.com (mailto:znavko@tutanota.com):  Hi! There actually were wpa-supplicant config twice. The necessary one is in the (modify-services) section. I rest only that one. And it works. But the network is not working, cause dhcpd is not configured. I really want to get around "dhcpcd@.service causes slow startup" https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dhcpcd (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dhcpcd)   Would you give some advises how to prevent slow booting? How to set timeout on wpa-supplicant service and dhcpcd that they'll start after slim shows me auth form?  My actual manual network start is this:   # cat startnet #!/bin/sh  #connect to wi-fi through wpa_supplicant  herd stop wpa-supplicant rfkill unblock wifi wpa_supplicant -B -i wlp2s0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf sleep 2 dhclient -v wlp2s0   May be I can use dhclient service or something like that instead of dhcpcd?  I attached my current workable config, but dhcpcd is commented there. Also I do not know how to write dhcpd.conf for my case?   Apr 4, 2019, 7:26 PM by znavko@tutanota.com (mailto:znavko@tutanota.com):  Hello! I am so novice in Guile. I have trouble trying to add wpa-supplicant configuration to my config. I get this error:   # guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm guix system: error: service 'wpa-supplicant' provided more than once   Please, let me know where to place my wpa-config lines?

* Re: wpa-supplicant service configuration. Guile is hard
@ 2019-04-05 14:34     ` znavko
From: znavko @ 2019-04-05 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Branson; +Cc: Help Guix

Joshua, thanks for your attention. Yes, networkmanager is using when your config contains %desktop-services variable described here https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/services/desktop.scm#n1039 <https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/services/desktop.scm#n1039>

When I do  not touch it GuixSD setup networkamanger and I can simply use it with no problems. But I do not want, cause nm is the ugliest thing I saw in Linux.

I use %desktop-services and I delete unnecessary stuff from there. And then I try to configure Internet with only wpa-supplicant and dhcpcd. But now rfkill is blocking wifi so wpa stops there. Ooh la la!

Apr 5, 2019, 1:49 PM by jbranso@dismail.de:

@ 2019-04-05 16:38     ` Ricardo Wurmus
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-04-05 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: znavko; +Cc: Help Guix

znavko@tutanota.com writes:

> Hello! I have several questions about wpa-supplicant + dhcpcd services.
>
> First of all I do not want to use networkmanager and I usually get Internet working manually with this:
> # cat startnet
> #!/bin/sh
> #connect to wi-fi through wpa_supplicant
> herd stop wpa-supplicant
> rfkill unblock wifi
> wpa_supplicant -B -i wlp2s0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
> sleep 2
> dhclient -v wlp2s0

Why do you do this all manually instead of using
wpa-supplicant-service-type and dhcp-client-service-type?

Your configuration looks … adventurous.  Here are some recommendations:

* don’t nest modify-services.  Nothing good will come of this.  It only
  serves to confuse you.  “modify-services” can modify more than one
  service at once.

* don’t leave parentheses on lines all by themselves.  They get lonely.

* don’t use dhcpd-service-type unless you want to run a DHCP server.
  Use dhcp-client-service-type for the DHCP *client*.

* you don’t need to add wpa-supplicant to the list of globally installed
  packages.  The service is enough.

* maybe try fixing the indentation (Emacs can do this with M-q) — it’s
  very hard to understand the configuration when the indentation tries
  hard to mislead you.

--
Ricardo

* Re: wpa-supplicant service configuration. Guile is hard
@ 2019-04-05 16:47 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-04-05 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: znavko; +Cc: Help Guix

znavko@tutanota.com writes:

> I have trouble trying to add wpa-supplicant configuration to my config. I get this error:
>
> # guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm
> guix system: error: service 'wpa-supplicant' provided more than once
> Please, let me know where to place my wpa-config lines?

%desktop-services includes wpa-supplicant-service-type but you also
added it yourself.  That’s why Guix tells you that it is provided more
than once.

--
Ricardo

* Re: wpa-supplicant service configuration. Guile is hard
@ 2019-04-06  8:54     ` znavko
From: znavko @ 2019-04-06  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: Help Guix

Hello! I've spent 3 hours reading emacs tutorial and searching for scheme mode but did not get result.
Pressing M-q on each paragraph of my config has broke it (attached file with suffix emacs).

> Why do you do this all manually instead of using
> wpa-supplicant-service-type and dhcp-client-service-type?

I do have wpa-supplicant-service-type and dhcp-client-service-type, and they do not work, cause wlan is soft blocked. I need to use `rfkill unblock wifi` in my script, but services do not do this.
After reboot I have `herd status` as in attach, networking is inactive there. I think soft blocking happens because there are 2 wlan in my system, a strange tun0 has appeared.

# ifconfig
enp3s0    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr xx:xx:xx:11
          UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:0  TX bytes:0

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Bcast:0.0.0.0  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:0  TX bytes:0

tun0      Link encap:(hwtype unknown)
          inet addr:10.14.0.26  Bcast:0.0.0.0  Mask:255.255.255.255
          UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          RX bytes:8626006  TX bytes:703476

wlp2s0    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr xx:xx:xx:xx:22
          inet addr:192.168.1.33  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:9765341  TX bytes:1265501

Also I attach some dmesg lines if it will give some info.
Now I have network services, but they do not manage the soft blocking of wifi. How to unblock automatically?

April 6, 2019 4:36 AM, "Ricardo Wurmus" <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:

> znavko@tutanota.com writes:
>
>> Hello! I have several questions about wpa-supplicant + dhcpcd services.
>>
>> First of all I do not want to use networkmanager and I usually get Internet working manually with
>> this:
>> # cat startnet
>> #!/bin/sh
>> #connect to wi-fi through wpa_supplicant
>> herd stop wpa-supplicant
>> rfkill unblock wifi
>> wpa_supplicant -B -i wlp2s0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
>> sleep 2
>> dhclient -v wlp2s0
>
> Why do you do this all manually instead of using
> wpa-supplicant-service-type and dhcp-client-service-type?
>
> Your configuration looks … adventurous. Here are some recommendations:
>
> * don’t nest modify-services. Nothing good will come of this. It only
> serves to confuse you. “modify-services” can modify more than one
> service at once.
>
> * don’t leave parentheses on lines all by themselves. They get lonely.
>
> * don’t use dhcpd-service-type unless you want to run a DHCP server.
> Use dhcp-client-service-type for the DHCP *client*.
>
> * you don’t need to add wpa-supplicant to the list of globally installed
> packages. The service is enough.
>
> * maybe try fixing the indentation (Emacs can do this with M-q) — it’s
> very hard to understand the configuration when the indentation tries
> hard to mislead you.
>
> --
> Ricardo

[-- Attachment #2: config-wpa-dhcp-client2.conf --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 3025 bytes --]

[...]

              (service dhcp-client-service-type)

              (modify-services
                (remove (lambda (service)
                  (member (service-kind service)
                    (list ntp-service-type avahi-service-type
                          bluetooth-service network-manager-service-type)))
                  %desktop-services)  ;end of remove lambda services

                (wpa-supplicant-service-type config =>
                  (wpa-supplicant-configuration
                    (interface "wlp2s0")
                    (config-file "/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf")))

                (gdm-service-type config =>
                  (gdm-configuration
                    (xorg-configuration
                      (xorg-configuration
                        (extra-config
                          '("Section \"InputClass\"
                              Identifier \"touchpad\"
                              Driver \"libinput\"
                              MatchIsTouchpad \"on\"
                              Option \"Tapping\" \"on\"
                              EndSection")
                )))))

                (elogind-service-type
                  c => (elogind-configuration (handle-lid-switch 'ignore)))
              );;end of modify-services
  ));;end of services

  ;; Allow resolution of '.local' host names with mDNS.
  (name-service-switch %mdns-host-lookup-nss)

 (kernel-arguments '("modprobe.blacklist=pcspkr,snd_pcsp,wmi,bluetooth,pata_acpi"))

);;end of operating-system

[-- Attachment #3: config-wpa-dhcp-client2--emacs.conf --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 2674 bytes --]

;;this is znavko's cute config

(use-modules (gnu) (gnu system nss) (gnu system locale) ;;for
             locale-definition (gnu services desktop) (srfi srfi-1)
             ;;for remove function (gnu services networking) ;;for
             remove ntp (gnu services avahi) ;;for remove avahi (gnu
             services xorg) (gnu packages admin) ;;for wpa_supplicant
             ) (use-service-modules desktop) (use-package-modules
             certs gnome)

(operating-system (host-name "antelope") (timezone "Europe/Moscow")
  (locale "en_US.utf8") (bootloader (bootloader-configuration
  (bootloader grub-bootloader) (target "/dev/sda"))) (file-systems
  (cons (file-system (device "/dev/sda1") (mount-point "/") (type
  "ext4")) %base-file-systems)) (swap-devices '("/dev/sda2"))

  (users (cons* (user-account (name "bob") (group "users")
                (supplementary-groups '("wheel" "netdev" "audio"
                "video")) (home-directory "/home/bob")) (user-account
                (name "mom") (group "users") (supplementary-groups
                '("wheel" "netdev" "audio" "video")) (home-directory
                "/home/mom")) %base-user-accounts))

  ;; This is where we specify system-wide packages.  (packages (cons*
  nss-certs ;for HTTPS access gvfs ;for user mounts wpa-supplicant
  %base-packages))

  (services (cons* (service xfce-desktop-service-type) (service
              dhcp-client-service-type)

              (modify-services (remove (lambda (service) (member
                (service-kind service) (list ntp-service-type
                avahi-service-type bluetooth-service
                network-manager-service-type))) %desktop-services)
                ;end of remove lambda services

                (wpa-supplicant-service-type config =>
                  (wpa-supplicant-configuration (interface "wlp2s0")
                  (config-file
                  "/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf")))

                (gdm-service-type config => (gdm-configuration
                  (xorg-configuration (xorg-configuration
                  (extra-config '("Section \"InputClass\" Identifier
                  \"touchpad\" Driver \"libinput\" MatchIsTouchpad
                  \"on\" Option \"Tapping\" \"on\" EndSection") )))))

                (elogind-service-type c => (elogind-configuration
                  (handle-lid-switch 'ignore))) );;end of
                  modify-services ));;end of services

  ;; Allow resolution of '.local' host names with mDNS.
  (name-service-switch %mdns-host-lookup-nss)

 (kernel-arguments
 '("modprobe.blacklist=pcspkr,snd_pcsp,wmi,bluetooth,pata_acpi"))

);;end of operating-system

[-- Attachment #4: herd-status.txt --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 1052 bytes --]

# herd status
Started:
 + console-font-tty1
 + console-font-tty2
 + console-font-tty3
 + console-font-tty4
 + console-font-tty5
 + console-font-tty6
 + dbus-system
 + elogind
 + file-system-/dev/pts
 + file-system-/dev/shm
 + file-system-/gnu/store
 + file-system-/run/systemd
 + file-system-/run/user
 + file-system-/sys/fs/cgroup
 + file-system-/sys/fs/cgroup/blkio
 + file-system-/sys/fs/cgroup/cpu
 + file-system-/sys/fs/cgroup/cpuacct
 + file-system-/sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset
 + file-system-/sys/fs/cgroup/devices
 + file-system-/sys/fs/cgroup/elogind
 + file-system-/sys/fs/cgroup/freezer
 + file-system-/sys/fs/cgroup/memory
 + file-system-/sys/fs/cgroup/perf_event
 + file-systems
 + guix-daemon
 + host-name
 + loopback
 + nscd
 + root
 + root-file-system
 + swap-/dev/sda2
 + syslogd
 + term-tty1
 + term-tty2
 + term-tty3
 + term-tty4
 + term-tty5
 + term-tty6
 + udev
 + upower-daemon
 + urandom-seed
 + user-file-systems
 + user-processes
 + virtual-terminal
 + wpa-supplicant
 + xorg-server
Stopped:
 - networking
 - term-auto
 - user-homes

[-- Attachment #5: dmesg-lines.txt --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 1446 bytes --]

[    6.436738] Bluetooth: HCI UART protocol Marvell registered
[    6.445066] 1-1.4.3: Missing Free firmware (non-Free firmware loading is disabled)
[    6.449163] cfg80211: Loaded X.509 cert 'sforshee: 00b11111111'
[    6.453753] platform regulatory.0: Direct firmware load for regulatory.db failed with error -2
[    6.453837] cfg80211: failed to load regulatory.db
[    6.455260] Bluetooth: Patch file not found /*(DEBLOBBED)*/
[    6.455358] Bluetooth: Loading patch file failed
[    6.455476] ath3k: probe of 1-1.4.3:1.0 failed with error -2
[    6.455608] usbcore: registered new interface driver ath3k
[    6.462512] libphy: r8169: probed
[    6.802155] ieee80211 phy0: Selected rate control algorithm 'minstrel_ht'
[    6.802755] ieee80211 phy0: Atheros AR9565 Rev:1 mem=0x111111111, irq=18
[    6.807723] ath9k 0000:02:00.0 wlp2s0: renamed from wlan0
..
[    9.162302] shepherd[1]: Service guix-daemon has been started.
[    9.757077] random: crng init done
[    9.758506] random: 1 urandom warning(s) missed due to ratelimiting
[   10.853034] 0000:03:00.0: Missing Free firmware (non-Free firmware loading is disabled)
[   10.854867] r8169 0000:03:00.0 enp3s0: unable to load firmware patch /*(DEBLOBBED)*/ (-2)
[   10.856611] Generic PHY r8169-300:00: attached PHY driver [Generic PHY] (mii_bus:phy_addr=r8169-300:00, irq=IGNORE)
[   10.957616] r8169 0000:03:00.0 enp3s0: Link is Down
[   25.073090] fuse init (API version 7.28)

* Re: wpa-supplicant service configuration. Guile is hard
@ 2019-04-06  8:57     ` znavko
From: znavko @ 2019-04-06  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: Help Guix

oh, sorry, tun0 is vpn.

* Re: wpa-supplicant service configuration. Guile is hard
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-04-06 17:55     ` znavko
From: znavko @ 2019-04-06 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus, znavko; +Cc: Help Guix

Situation is this now:
1. I have wonderful configured services: wpa-supplicant and dhcp-client
2. I see the messages during boot process:
  wpa-supplicant successfully initialized
  rfkill: WLAN soft blocked
  service networking could not be started
3. I open terminal after boot and do this:
  su -
  rfkill unblock wifi
  herd restart networking
4. And I have Internet.

Bios has no wifi blocking. Do not know why wifi comes blocked. Need to know how to unblock. Do I need own service with `rfkill unblock wifi`, and if so, how to run networking service after my own service?