Hi Josselin, first of all, sorry for the confusion: I'm still learning... and I'm probably still using bad terminilogy from a Guix/Guile developer POV. Josselin Poiret writes: > Giovanni Biscuolo writes: > >> Sorry I don't understand the problem, could you expand please? >> >> The guix (and daemon) versione are those of the channel used when >> creating the install .iso image; booting the 1.40 installer we get a >> "guix version" and "guix describe" value of 989a391... > > Not exactly, to include Guix inside the installer image, it somehow > needs to refer to itself. The way it used to be done was by using the > `guix` package, which necessarily is older than the current commit. OK, in fact I checked starting the guix-1.4 install image in a VM and I got an older guix in the install system (forgive me for the missing the details, but this is not important in this context), but the verion installed on the target was 1.4.0 (so I guess its subsitute was downloaded from one of the build farms). > However, we also implemented the `current-guix` hack that basically uses > a guix checkout at the current guix version as the source for the guix > package. So, since some commit, now the guix version used to build the target system image is the one checked-out by the person/agent running the install image build script: did I understand it correctly? > In both cases though, we shouldn't see any differences in other > package's derivations… Does this mean you consider possible to pre-populate the /gnu/store install system (the one started using the install image) with a substet of substitutes possibly needed in the target system? I'm wondering if it's possible to create a custom build image (info "(guix) Building the Installation Image") to do something like this. Thanks! Gio' -- Giovanni Biscuolo Xelera IT Infrastructures