all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Change Log's style nitpicking!
@ 2015-11-09 18:03 Mathieu Lirzin
From: Mathieu Lirzin @ 2015-11-09 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi,

A few weeks ago, I noticed that when passing the Guix commit logs to
‘gitlog-to-changelog’, the result is not properly displayed in Emacs.

For example with:

	gnu: Add python-oslo.log.
	* gnu/packages/openstack.scm (python-oslo.log,
	  python2-oslo.log): New variables.

Change Log mode requires a parenthese as a first character with only a
tabulation before (no extra space) to fontify the ‘python2-oslo.log’
with the same style as ‘python-oslo.log’. In fact it imposes precisely
what is documented in GNU Standards:

  https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/standards.html#Style-of-Change-Logs

I will not claim that this is a major issue, but since we try to use GNU
Change Log's format, let's conform to it. ;)

Let me precise that my point is not about personnal preference (I prefer
the current format), but it is about consistency within the GNU project.

What do people think?

--
Mathieu Lirzin

* Re: Change Log's style nitpicking!
@ 2015-11-11 21:13 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-11-11 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Lirzin; +Cc: guix-devel

Mathieu Lirzin <mthl@gnu.org> skribis:

> For example with:
>
> 	gnu: Add python-oslo.log.
> 	* gnu/packages/openstack.scm (python-oslo.log,
> 	  python2-oslo.log): New variables.
>
> Change Log mode requires a parenthese as a first character with only a
> tabulation before (no extra space) to fontify the ‘python2-oslo.log’
> with the same style as ‘python-oslo.log’. In fact it imposes precisely
> what is documented in GNU Standards:
>
>   https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/standards.html#Style-of-Change-Logs
>
> I will not claim that this is a major issue, but since we try to use GNU
> Change Log's format, let's conform to it. ;)
>
> Let me precise that my point is not about personnal preference (I prefer
> the current format), but it is about consistency within the GNU project.
>
> What do people think?

I think you’re right, let’s try to follow that (I’m the guilty party
here, having used the more “natural” variant for a long time.)

Thanks for nitpicking.  ;-)

Ludo’.

* Re: Change Log's style nitpicking!
@ 2015-11-16 22:19   ` Mathieu Lirzin
From: Mathieu Lirzin @ 2015-11-16 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Mathieu Lirzin <mthl@gnu.org> skribis:
>
>> For example with:
>>
>> 	gnu: Add python-oslo.log.
>> 	* gnu/packages/openstack.scm (python-oslo.log,
>> 	  python2-oslo.log): New variables.
>>
>> Change Log mode requires a parenthese as a first character with only a
>> tabulation before (no extra space) to fontify the ‘python2-oslo.log’
>> with the same style as ‘python-oslo.log’. In fact it imposes precisely
>> what is documented in GNU Standards:
>>
>>   https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/standards.html#Style-of-Change-Logs
>>
>> I will not claim that this is a major issue, but since we try to use GNU
>> Change Log's format, let's conform to it. ;)
>>
>> Let me precise that my point is not about personnal preference (I prefer
>> the current format), but it is about consistency within the GNU project.
>>
>> What do people think?
>
> I think you’re right, let’s try to follow that (I’m the guilty party
> here, having used the more “natural” variant for a long time.)

Thank for accepting this change.  I have seen that others has started to
adapt their commit logs, so thanks to them too!

--
Mathieu Lirzin