[Re-sending] Todor Kondić writes: > What is the advantage of having different profiles to just defining > different top-level packages propagating all programs and libraries > one needs and placing them in a custom channel? My feeling is, > defining a package is cleaner than manifests+profiles, because it does > not involve creating yet another shell program that needs to be > sourced. This is a good question! To be clear, it's not really a "shell program" but the ~/.profile / ~/.bash_profile, which is usually a default config file (it's part of the user profile skeleton). Pros & cons I can think of now: - "Bundle Packages" into the same profile do not solve the problem of file conflicts. (E.g. you can't install 2 packages that both have a file of the same name.) - When multiple Bundle Packages are installed, I feel that it's harder to know from which Bundle Package a package comes. - Nit: Writing the Bundle Packages + channel is a little more code than manifests. -- Pierre Neidhardt https://ambrevar.xyz/