Hi Attila, sorry for the delay in my reply, I'm asking myself if this (sub)thread should be "condensed" in a dedicated RFC (are RFCs official workflows in Guix, now?); if so, I volunteer to file such an RFC in the next weeks. Attila Lendvai writes: >> Are there other issues (different from the "host cannot execute target >> binary") that makes relesase tarballs indispensable for some upstream >> projects? > > > i didn't mean to say that tarballs are indispensible. i just wanted to > point out that it's not as simple as going through each package > definition and robotically changing the source origin from tarball to > git repo. it costs some effort, but i don't mean to suggest that it's > not worth doing. OK understood thanks! [...] > i think a good first step would be to reword the packaging guidelines > in the doc to strongly prefer VCS sources instead of tarballs. I agree. >> Even if We™ (ehrm) find a solution to the source tarball reproducibility >> problem (potentially allowing us to patch all the upstream makefiles >> with specific phases in our packages definitions) are we really going to >> start our own (or one managed by the reproducible build community) >> "reproducible source tarballs" repository? Is this feaseable? > > but why would that be any better than simply building from git? which, > i think, would even take less effort. I agree, I was just brainstorming. [...] Thanks, Gio' -- Giovanni Biscuolo Xelera IT Infrastructures