all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Silencing "user with UID X not found" message
@ 2024-07-04 22:04 Taha Aziz Ben Ali
From: Taha Aziz Ben Ali @ 2024-07-04 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-guix

Hello there,

I'm running Guix on a foreign distribution (Arch Linux). I've recently
migrated to systemd-homed ceding absolute control of my home directory
to it in the process. Any way, the premise of systemd-homed is to
provide portable, encrypted home directories "independent" of the host
system.

Given that systemd-homed doesn't write UIDs to the system-wide
/etc/passwd and instead keeps track of this information in JSON format
in $HOME/.identity, is there anything that can be done from the Guix
side to silence this message? It doesn't seem to have any negative
effect on typical operations of Guix (shell, pull, etc.)

I have seen a posting here where someone recommended to activate the
host's nscd service, but not only is that not readily-available for me,
it has certainly never hindered my usage of guix. On a related note, the
'passwd' category in my /etc/nsswitch.conf looks up the 'files' source
first and 'systemd' source last. Guix, to my understanding, does not
implement the 'systemd' source and therefore cannot identify the UID
without some sort of special treatment.

Regards,
Aziz

only message in thread, other threads:[~2024-07-04 22:05 UTC | newest]