all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Talk for the GHM
@ 2013-07-17 21:43 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2013-07-17 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello,

Time has come to send a title and summary for GHM talks.  Presumably,
Andreas and I will give a talk, or two talks, or two sub-talks, perhaps
with Andreas talking about more specific technical topics.

Here’s what I have in mind.

  GNU Guix, the computing freedom deployment tool

  Guix is GNU’s package manager and distribution.  It seeks to empower
  users in several ways: by being a dependable system foundation, by
  providing the tools to formally correlate a binary package and the
  “recipes” and source code that led to it—furthering the spirit of the
  GNU GPL—, by allowing users to customize the distribution, and by
  lowering the barrier to entry in distribution development.

  This talk will reflect on a year of development, showing how far we’ve
  got toward this mission, and showing off with a demo.  We will discuss
  challenges ahead in building a stand-alone GNU system, as well as
  opportunities for the larger GNU community.

This may not be clear from the summary, but the message would be
primarily philosophical & social, and practical rather than about the
internals.

WDYT?

(I’d like to send it tomorrow or early on Friday.)

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: Talk for the GHM
@ 2013-07-18 14:14 ` Luca Saiu
From: Luca Saiu @ 2013-07-18 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

On 2013-07-17 at 23:43, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

> WDYT?

I like it.

--
Luca Saiu
Home page:   http://ageinghacker.net

* Re: Talk for the GHM
@ 2013-07-18 18:50 ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2013-07-18 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Sounds good to me, with the first paragraph maybe a bit heavy on buzzwords.

Am Mittwoch, 17. Juli 2013 schrieb Ludovic Courtès:
>   This talk will reflect on a year of development, showing how far we’ve
>   got toward this mission,

"come" instead of "got", I think; I would also continue with infinitives:
"show" instead of "showing".

>   and showing off with a demo.

"give" instead of "show off with", or "finish with"?

Andreas

* Re: Talk for the GHM
@ 2013-07-18 19:17 ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2013-07-18 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

So here is my suggestion for the GHM:

GNU Guix: Package without a scheme!

One of the seducing features of the GNU Guix distribution is that the
package management system as well as the package descriptions themselves
are written in Guile, the GNU implementation of the Scheme language. But
what if you do not know Scheme? Then you can still contribute by packaging
your favourite GNU and other free software, and maybe learn a bit of
beautiful functional programming en passant.

This talk gives an overview of what is already packaged in GNU Guix,
demonstrates the creation of a new package and asks the audience to come up
with schemes of what to package for the next releases.

I could give a talk of my own (two talks will give more weight to Guix!),
but will probably not need 45 minutes; rather 30.

Then I think we should have a tutorial session, where every GHM participant
packages their favourite piece of software ;-)

Andreas

* Re: Talk for the GHM
@ 2013-07-19 12:24   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2013-07-19 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: guix-devel

Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> skribis:

> Sounds good to me, with the first paragraph maybe a bit heavy on buzzwords.

Heh.  :-)

I wanted it to be high-level and concise, and ended up reusing that ELS
intro.  I think I’ll go with this one, because holiday time has come.  ;-)

> Am Mittwoch, 17. Juli 2013 schrieb Ludovic Courtès:
>>   This talk will reflect on a year of development, showing how far we’ve
>>   got toward this mission,
>
> "come" instead of "got", I think; I would also continue with infinitives:
> "show" instead of "showing".

Agreed.

>>   and showing off with a demo.
>
> "give" instead of "show off with", or "finish with"?

I really meant that we’ll be showing off.  :-)

Thanks for your input,
Ludo’.

* Re: Talk for the GHM
@ 2013-07-19 12:29   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2013-07-19 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: guix-devel

Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> skribis:

> So here is my suggestion for the GHM:

Looks great to me!  (And fewer buzzwords than mine.  ;-))

> GNU Guix: Package without a scheme!
>
> One of the seducing features of the GNU Guix distribution is that the

I try to call it either the “GNU distribution” or the “GNU system”.

> package management system as well as the package descriptions themselves
> are written in Guile, the GNU implementation of the Scheme language. But

“one of GNU’s implementations of”, or “GNU’s core implementation of”,
just not to offend our MIT/Kawa/SCM friends.

> what if you do not know Scheme? Then you can still contribute by packaging
> your favourite GNU and other free software, and maybe learn a bit of

“free software packages”?

> beautiful functional programming en passant.
>
> This talk gives an overview of what is already packaged in GNU Guix,
> demonstrates the creation of a new package and asks the audience to come up
> with schemes of what to package for the next releases.
>

> I could give a talk of my own (two talks will give more weight to Guix!),
> but will probably not need 45 minutes; rather 30.
>
> Then I think we should have a tutorial session, where every GHM participant
> packages their favourite piece of software ;-)

Yes, that’d be great!  An install party coupled with a hack fest.  :-)

Ludo’.

* Re: Talk for the GHM
@ 2013-07-21 22:34   ` alex sassmannshausen
From: alex sassmannshausen @ 2013-07-21 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)