all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Volunteering
@ 2014-11-02 19:28 Felipe López
From: Felipe López @ 2014-11-02 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: guix-devel

Hi,

I've been helping in libre software projects for some years. The last
project in which I participated was gNewSense. I helped there since
version 2.4 doing some graphics, documentation, and translations. I've
done some scripting in Python, and I'm learning to program, but I'm a
naive programmer.

I read somewhere that you may be needing some graphics soon. In
gNewSense I used to do visual-theme proposals for each mayor version of
the system [1][2] and I would like to do the same for Guix if you think
it's OK. Is anyone working on the visual part of the project?

Thanks,

[1] http://galaxia.rtfd.org/
[2] http://gnsaurora.rtfd.org/

--
Luis Felipe López Acevedo
http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/

* Re: Volunteering
@ 2014-11-03  9:27 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-11-03  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Felipe López; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello,

Felipe López <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> skribis:

> I read somewhere that you may be needing some graphics soon. In
> gNewSense I used to do visual-theme proposals for each mayor version of
> the system [1][2] and I would like to do the same for Guix if you think
> it's OK. Is anyone working on the visual part of the project?

Not that I know of.  Your help would be welcome!

Examples of things that would be nice to have include a GRUB background
image and a SLiM (login manager) login image.  (And we have plans to
make a new release within a couple of weeks, if you need an incentive to
get started.  ;-))

Then of course, the Web page needs love, although we’re a bit
constrained by the gnu.org infrastructure (server-side includes etc.)
and the need for consistency across gnu.org Web pages.

“Promotional” images or banners similar in spirit to those you did for
gNewSense would be nice as well.

I’ve just created a new repository for artwork in general, which
currently only contains the logo:

  http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/guix-artwork.git

It would be convenient if things you do could go there, in the preferred
form (most of the time SVG I suppose?)

WDYT?  :-)

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: Volunteering
@ 2014-11-03 16:33   ` Felipe López
From: Felipe López @ 2014-11-03 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

On 03/11/14 04:27, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Felipe López <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> skribis:
>
>> I read somewhere that you may be needing some graphics soon. In
>> gNewSense I used to do visual-theme proposals for each mayor version of
>> the system [1][2] and I would like to do the same for Guix if you think
>> it's OK. Is anyone working on the visual part of the project?
>
> Not that I know of.  Your help would be welcome!
>
> Examples of things that would be nice to have include a GRUB background
> image and a SLiM (login manager) login image.  (And we have plans to
> make a new release within a couple of weeks, if you need an incentive to
> get started.  ;-))

I'll start working on these.

> Then of course, the Web page needs love, although we’re a bit
> constrained by the gnu.org infrastructure (server-side includes etc.)
> and the need for consistency across gnu.org Web pages.

I'll see if I can work on the website later.

> “Promotional” images or banners similar in spirit to those you did for
> gNewSense would be nice as well.
>

> I’ve just created a new repository for artwork in general, which
> currently only contains the logo:
>
>   http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/guix-artwork.git
>
> It would be convenient if things you do could go there, in the preferred
> form (most of the time SVG I suppose?)

Should I send patches to the mailing list or do I join Guix in Savannah
for commit access?

--

@ 2014-11-03 17:07     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-11-03 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Felipe López; +Cc: guix-devel

Felipe López <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> skribis:

> Should I send patches to the mailing list or do I join Guix in Savannah
> for commit access?

Patches would be inadequate.  What about posting a link to the SVGs to
the mailing list so we can see, and then commit those that are selected
to the artwork.git repo?

For the latter, please request to join Guix on Savannah, as you note.

Thanks,
Ludo’.