On Thu, Aug 04, 2016 at 17:06:15 +0200, Andy Wingo wrote: > What's the rationale for requiring non-HEAD commits to be signed when > pushing? For me a signed HEAD implicitly signs all parent comments, in > my mental trust model anyway :) That could be a potentially daunting/impossible task for the person signing a commit. Aside from asserting one's identity, GPG-signed commits also (can) help in the event that the system of one of the Guix hackers with commit access is compromised. Attacking Savannah is one way to compromise the repo, but compromising one of the many Guix hackers' systems is another. If a commit is signed in the hacker's local repo, it cannot be manipulated by an attacker, nor can an attacker sign a new malicious commit. Unless, of course, the GPG key resides on the same box, the attacker can get a hold of it, and can use a keylogger/etc to get the passphrase. Smart cards help here. I also recommend against auto-signing commmits on rebase unless you first verify that each commit within that range has a valid signature beforehand. Not fool-proof, but nothing is. :) -- Mike Gerwitz Free Software Hacker+Activist | GNU Maintainer & Volunteer https://mikegerwitz.com | GPG Key ID: 0x8EE30EAB