Alex Vong writes: > Hello, > > I hope this is on topic. Recently, 2 critical vulnerabilities (see > https://meltdownattack.com/) affecting virtually all intel cpus are > discovered. I am running libreboot x200 (see > https://www.fsf.org/ryf). What should I do right now to patch my laptop? > > Cheers, > Alex According to the user named _4of7 in the #libreboot channel of the Freenode IRC network, the email list development@libreboot.org is down. So the Libreboot maintainers have probably not seen this email thread. According to _4of7, currently the best way to contact the Libreboot maintainers is IRC. It would probably be best to ask there. If you get a response, please don't forget to update us here on this thread! When I asked in #freenode today, _4of7 responded as follows: <_4of7> There's not much we can do from the Libreboot side, but there are <_4of7> mitigations on kernel side... since it's exploitable from javascript <_4of7> you could also e.g. not run JavaScript. specing on #libreboot IRC had <_4of7> the idea to run Firefox without the JIT enabled - we both tried to <_4of7> compile the latest ESR however, with --disable-ion, and it segfaulted. <_4of7> I tried to build ff 45esr instead, but that build failed. I'm not sure who _4of7 is, so I don't know if they speak for the Libreboot project. Mark H Weaver writes: > Marius Bakke writes: > >> Katherine Cox-Buday writes: >> >>> Chris Marusich writes: >>> >>>> Leo Famulari writes: >>> >>>> I wonder: how easy will it be to install those firmware/microcode >>>> updates if you are using GuixSD? In particular, I'm curious about the >>>> case of the Lenovo x200 with libreboot, since that's what I use >>>> personally. >>> >>> I am also interested -- more from a philisophical perspective -- how >>> GuixSD and GNU squares with these kinds of security updates. >> >> In my opinion, CPU microcode falls under "non-functional data", as >> expressly permitted by the GNU FSDG. > > I strongly disagree. CPU microcode is absolutely functional data. > It determines how the CPU functions. Does the GNU Project have a policy regarding this sort of thing? I wasn't able to find any articles on gnu.org that discuss it. If no such policy exists, then should this topic be discussed somewhere like gnu-system-discuss@gnu.org? I don't know where discussions like this normally take place within the GNU project. It's definitely a discussion worth having, though. -- Chris