Hi Ludo, Ludovic Courtès writes: > Hi Diego, > > Diego Nicola Barbato skribis: > >> Ludovic Courtès writes: > > [...] > >>> The patch LGTM. Just one question: did you submit it upstream (is there >>> still an upstream?), and if so, could we add the URL of upstream’s >>> tracking software or an indication about the submission? >> >> I did not submit it upstream (the most likely candidate seems to be this >> [0] even though it is not mentioned e.g. on the ArchWiki), since the >> general consensus seems to be that the project has been abandoned. > > That makes sense. > > I’ve applied the 3 patches and confirmed that > gnu/system/examples/vm-image.tmpl, which uses SLiM, still works > correctly. > > However, I’ve noticed that this changes the name of the default Shepherd > service from ‘xorg-server’ to ‘xorg-server-vt7’. > > What about generating an ‘xorg-server’ Shepherd service that would > depend on all the ‘xorg-server-vtN’ services? Hmm that wouldn’t be > entirely equivalent: ‘herd start xorg-server’ would start them all, but > ‘herd stop xorg-server’ wouldn’t stop any of them. > > Perhaps a simple fix is, when there’s only one server launched, to have > the Shepherd service provide both ‘xorg-server-vtN’ and ‘xorg-server’. > Or to special-case vt7 such that the service for vt7 provides both > ‘xorg-server’ and ‘xorg-server-vt7’. > > Thoughts? How about changing the default value of vt to #f and having the Shepherd service provide ‘xorg-server-vtN’ only if vt is set to "vtN" and ‘xorg-server’ otherwise. That way the name of the default Shepherd service would not change. I have attached a patch that does just that. If we apply it we will also have to update the documentation to reflect the change of vt's default value. Regards, Diego