Hello Guix, Leo Famulari writes: [...] > And in the case of GNOME, we have already fallen short of our goals > several times, having missed multiple upgrades. I regret not to be able to contribute more to Guix, but please nobody should feel guilty not to be able to keep-up with upstream's upgrading rate (whatever rate it is), better safe than up-to-date :-) > I too have felt the temptation to cut corners with Git when I know that > the final result will be "okay". But Guix is not just about the final > product (a release, or a merge). We also have the --commit option to > Guix commands, and `guix time-machine`. So the Git history is important > too. Yes, please this should be stressed: Guix *is* it's official (master, core-updates...) git repo branches. Just to understand: /if/ at any point in time a user is able to afford the effort to build the entire core-updates /or/ staging branch she should be confident the result is state-of-the-art secure. Am I wrong with this assumption? > And I have also spent several hours at a time, focused on completing > (after several restarts) a complicated rebase involving dozens of > commits. And I've done that many times. I think this is the most expensive activity of Guix maintainers, for the very reason that Guix *is* git > I do think that Mark is being hyperbolic about the wip-gnome branch. The > name says "work in progress" and we don't hold those branches to a high > standard. I understand your point but please consider that /unless/ a wip-branch is private (or privately shared out-of-Guix-git) that branch it's a pubblic collective work in progress and sometimes (seldom? often? I really don't know) that work could be completed by someone else, so even in wip- branches committers should exercise some degree of discipline, especially when dealing with "commit message completeness" and more with security related patches. In other words, IMHO a certain degree of safety must be assured also on wip- branches. Probably the policy about wip-branches, whatever it is ("do what you want" or something in line with my comments above), should be documented in the contributing section of the Guix manual. > But what happened on core-updates *must not happen again*. Please no. > For a task as large as "updating GNOME in Guix", history tells me that > it has to be a group effort. In many cases, the hardest part of a > project is coordination and leadership, not coding. I hope that this > current effort continues, and that more people decide to join. OK but please consider that /if/ Guix cannot "update GNOME in Guix" for whatever reason, GNOME should not be updated. Thanks! Giovanni. -- Giovanni Biscuolo Xelera IT Infrastructures