In the case of quri, it looks like the problem comes from the "(asdf:clear-system c)" call at the end of "quri-test.asd". When removing it, the build succeeds even without the custom 'asd-systems' argument in the Guix package definition. So it looks like the lazy loading of system definitions is working in asdf-build-system after all. I guess it's the default behaviour of 'load-asd'. However I don't know why this 'clear-system' call messes up the ASDF configuration in asdf-build-system, but it doesn't seem to cause problems in Quicklisp...