all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Chris Marusich <cmmarusich@gmail.com>
To: Zachary Kanfer <zkanfer@gmail.com>
Cc: help-guix@gnu.org
Subject: Re: After installing Java, what should I set JAVA_HOME to?
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2016 18:34:29 -0800	[thread overview]

Hi Zachary,

Zachary Kanfer <zkanfer@gmail.com> writes:

> I want Guix to be widely adopted, because I think it's a really cool
> piece of software that deserves more support. To that end, I want to
> write about how high switching costs "use Guix for everything" has,
> and how much I think Guix adoption will be harmed by this advice.

I agree with Ludo' when he says that "Guix shouldn't’t force you to use a
different kind of fork."  You ought to be able to install Java using
Guix, install Gradle using some other mechanism, and then use the Java
from Guix to build Gradle projects.  This is a reasonable thing to want
to do, especially since so much Java support is missing from Guix today.

However, in the long term, I believe the day will come when Guix can be
used to manage all (or at least most) of the stuff that something like
Gradle does today.  I hope that on that day, instead of using an
alternative like Gradle, we'll be able to develop our Java projects
using Guix, build them using Guix, and deploy them using Guix.  Java
developers will be able to enjoy all the benefits of Guix.  But unless
people contribute in this area, that day won't come quickly.  That's why
I asked you in my original email: "What's stopping you from using Guix
to do it [to build your project]?"  I wasn't criticizing you for using
Gradle; I was inviting you to help us figure out where the remaining
gaps are and how we can fill them in.

In the end, were you able to get Java from Guix working with Gradle?

--
Chris