Hi, ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes: > Hi, > > Danny Milosavljevic skribis: > >> just now I had to debug a doxygen Segmentation Fault. I tried to install doxygen:debug but that wasn't available. >> >> I think it would be nice if these outputs were available by default (but not installed by default). > > Yeah, on of the reasons this is currently opt-in is disk space on hydra, > as noted in the manual (info "(guix) Installing Debugging Files"). > > There’s also the fact that packages that do not use the GNU build system > will most likely not produce debugging info out of the box, so adding > “debug” automatically may break many packages. > >> If we wanted to do that, we could just adapt >> guix/build-system/cmake.scm, guix/build-system/gnu.scm and >> guix/build-system/glib-or-gtk.scm outputs default to say '("out" >> "debug") instead of '("out"). > > Rather we should change the default value of the ‘outputs’ field of > . > Adding the "debug" to the default value of would every package to now have a debug output; isn't this why Danny suggested to only change it at the build system level? That way nothing which doesn't have debugging symbols by default would break or have a useless debug output. Or, was there something with making the change at that level? > The problem is that we’d have to add a line like: > > (outputs '("out")) > > to all the packages that do not provide debugging symbols (such as > Perl/Python/Ruby packages), which could be a lot of them. Or we could > provide: > > (define-syntax-rule (package/no-debug fields ...) > (package > (outputs '("out")) > fields ...)) > > Thoughts? > > Ludo’. That seems a more invasive/uglier solution to that hinted by Danny? Or am I missing something? :) Thanks, Maxim