Hi Leo and George, I've taken a stab at improving the "Substitutes" section. Please let me know if you have any concerns by replying to the patch email submission: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=29271 I think the existence of this email thread proves that the question of "Are substitutes enabled by default?" does not have an obvious answer. I also think that the existence of this email proves that the behavior of the --fallback command is not obvious, so it requires a very careful explanation in the manual to eliminate any risk of misinterpretation. Please do not reply to this email with feedback on the patch series; please respond to the patch email if you have feedback on the patch. -- Chris