Efraim Flashner writes: >> If it's a test failure, has the issue been reported upstream? > > I'll check to see if I can find something upstream. If not I'll report > it. FWIW Debian disables the test suite for powerpc. > https://sources.debian.org/src/binutils/2.36.1-6/debian/rules/#L537 How significant is the failure, anyway? Are we likely to encounter trouble down the line on powerpc if we don't resolve this? I have no idea, honestly, so I'm asking because I just don't know. I looked at the rules file you linked. Are you sure it disables the test for powerpc? It reads: with_check := yes ifneq (,$(findstring nocheck,$(DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS))) # override buildd admins to run the testsuite anyway ... ifeq (,$(filter $(DEB_HOST_ARCH), m68k powerpc sh4 sparc64)) with_check := disabled through DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS endif endif #with_check := disabled for this upload I'm not sure what the values for DEB_HOST_ARCH or DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS would be here. However, it seems to be setting with_check to disabled if and only if (1) nocheck shows up in DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS and (2) DEB_HOST_ARCH is not one of m68k, powerpc, sh4, or sparc64. In other words, it seems to enable the tests unless nocheck is in DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS, in which case it STILL enables the tests provided that DEB_HOST_ARCH is one of m68k, powerpc, sh4, or sparc64. I'm not very familiar with Debian rules files, so perhaps I'm mistaken. However, I think this means that when DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS doesn't contain "nocheck" (presumably it doesn't usually?), the tests will be run for every platform. In any case, reporting this upstream seems like the right thing to do. > I like the way you've done it (and the comment). The fewer places with > copy/pasted code the better. I'm building it again now to see about the > tests. With your changes I only need to add the phase in (gnu packages > base). I think the comment is honestly more than necessary, but if you find it helpful, perhaps someone in the future might, too. It describes a possibly surprising behavior of substitute-keyword-arguments that can happen any time you invoke it. I just wanted to call it out specifically for the purpose of this patch review. -- Chris