Obviously all this would need to be documented before actually apply such a patch. I've tested this patch by building e.g. gmsh (which I did not already have in the store):: $ guix build --source=transitive gmsh [...] $ guix build gmsh The build succeeded after building the glu, glproto, fltk, and xf86vidmodeproto inputs from source. I haven't yet tried making a change that would require rebootstrapping while offline. I think the idea is that this should work. What I'd like to get some feedback on: 1. Adding an optional argument to `guix build --source` currently breaks `guix build -S foo`, since the option parsing thinks "foo" is the argument for -S. I'm not sure how this could be reconciled. 2. There might be clearer user/developer-facing names for the arguments. 3. Am I understanding the use-case? Thanks, -- Eric Bavier