all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#24965: no openssh-service procedure
@ 2016-11-18 23:38 Thompson, David
From: Thompson, David @ 2016-11-18 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 24965

Despite having a bunch of procedures for making an SSH service type,
and exporting the symbol "openssh-service" from (gnu services ssh),
there is no openssh-service defined.  Not sure how this code made it
in.

- Dave

* bug#24965: no openssh-service procedure
@ 2016-11-21  9:04 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-11-21  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thompson, David; +Cc: 24965

Hi David,

"Thompson, David" <dthompson2@worcester.edu> skribis:

> Despite having a bunch of procedures for making an SSH service type,
> and exporting the symbol "openssh-service" from (gnu services ssh),
> there is no openssh-service defined.  Not sure how this code made it
> in.

This is on purpose.  :-)  The manual gives this example:

          (service openssh-service-type
                   (openssh-configuration
                     (x11-forwarding? #t)
                     (permit-root-login 'without-password)))

and that’s how it should be used.  (See
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2016-10/msg00095.html>.)

In recent service submissions, I’ve suggested that we stop adding
‘foo-service’ procedures and instead directly expose the
‘foo-service-type’ and ‘foo-configuration’ records.

The rationale is that the service type and config records have to be
exposed anyway if we want users to be able to customize services (with
‘modify-services’), to remove services from a list, and so on.

The downside is that it’s more typing, but I think that’s reasonable.

Thoughts?

Ludo’.