Mathieu Othacehe writes: > Hi Marius, > >> I plan to make a generic "grub-standalone" variant. Will try to fit it >> into the new bootloader API. The regular grub-efi variant won't cut it >> because it can't update EFI variables on the target system, so we need >> the "self-contained" grub snapshot generated by grub-mkstandalone(1). >> >> Also, the normal configuration file doesn't work with it, but a minimal >> config that loads the real one at boot is okay. Not sure why! > > Ok, but don't we need to do it on system reconfigure too ? Using "grub-mkstandalone" as an everyday bootloader is not a priority, though it would be nice to support that too. It doesn't make much sense to use that instead of "grub-efi" on a native system, but it can also generate e.g. standalone PXE, u-boot and yeelong loaders. >> On a related topic: The "device" field for grub-efi is a noop; >> `grub-install` looks for "/boot/efi" only (or "--efi-directory"). >> Currently the example uses the ESP for "device", but it should not have >> to be set. Not sure what to do about it, ideas? > > The "device" field of defaults to #f so maybe you can skip > it ? I tried that, but the "install-grub" procedure refused to function without a device argument. Will probably have to implement an "install-grub-efi" procedure, didn't look much into it yet.