all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#38613: Disabling bytecompilation on a list of files.
@ 2019-12-14 19:45 Brett Gilio
From: Brett Gilio @ 2019-12-14 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 38613

Hey all.

Just forwarding along an idea discussed between Leo Prikler, Tobias, and
I on IRC.

Recently I was trying to update our emacs-doom-themes package to a
fresher commit since it offers numerous new functionalities but there is
not a marked stable release of the package. In the process I found an
issue where some files have a bytecode compilation overflow issue during
the build phase. My sloppy work around as shown in
e9d8dee6c3d6e2ddff74841a3ab3a2ba2816bf27 was as such:

;; XXX: There is a byte-code overflow issue in the latest
;; checkout which affects byte-compilation for several theme
;; files. The easiest way to work around this is to disable
;; byte-compilation until the issue is resolved.
;; <https://github.com/hlissner/emacs-doom-themes/issues/314>
(delete 'build)

Obviously just outright deleting the phase responsible for
bytecompilation is not the _best_ solution. So what Leo and I proposed
was adding a #:no-bytecomp which takes a list of REGEXP or files that
will be excluded from the in-place byte-compilation.

I wanted to float this idea by those of us who use the
emacs-build-system regularly.

Thanks!

--
Brett M. Gilio