Hi Ludo, >> + (native-search-paths >> + (list (search-path-specification >> + (variable "LD_LIBRARY_PATH") >> + (files '("lib"))))))) > > I think we should not add LD_LIBRARY_PATH as a search path spec as it > can have undesirable side effects; it’s just too broad and risky. This makes sense. > The difficulty here is that we want guile-dbi to be able to find its > guile-dbd-* plugins, right? The previous method, which was to set the > RUNPATH of guile-dbi pointing to guile-dbd-*, sounds preferable to me: > it’s localized and does the job. > > The downside of the RUNPATH method is that these are no longer really > “plugins”: you end up pulling them whether or not you use them. Perhaps > you were concerned about the closure size? Yes, I was concerned about the closure size, but not merely about the closure size in MB, but also the closure size in number of packages. It does look a bit awkward when we're pulling in dependencies that are not really required. > If that really is a concern, I’d recommend taking a different approach, > such as using/defining a dedicated search path variable. That sounds good. How about I create a GUILE_DBD_LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable? Regards, Arun