On 2024-05-02, Janneke Nieuwenhuizen wrote: > Ludovic Courtès writes: > >> Richard Sent skribis: >> >>> As everyone who's built Guix from source knows, when running ./configure >>> on a system with an existing Guix installation you must remember to >>> specify --localstatedir=/var and --sysconfdir=/etc. I think we should >>> consider whether those variables should default to those values. >> >> I think it would make sense. >> >> Before I advocated that we should preferably stick to the GNU standards >> and have users make informed choices (that’s how we ended up with the >> ‘GUIX_CHECK_LOCALSTATEDIR’ macro that warns users but lets them >> explicitly pass ‘--localstatedir’.) >> >> That was 8 years ago though (eight!). At this point I think defaulting >> to /var and /etc would do more good than harm. >> >> What do others think? > > It would be certainly convenient for many us but there should probably a > warning or an error? (cc: @Vagrant) when not on Guix System? I think /var and /etc would be saner defaults from Debian's perspective for --localstatedir and --sysconfdir. That said, all my workflows for passing this are either building the Debian package (for which it explicitly passes /var and /etc) and building guix for use with "./pre-inst-env guix ..." for both of those use cases seem /var and /etc on my systems. I am not sure what workflows might break by changing the defaults; some people and systems still use /usr/local for locally built software, such as FreeBSD ports and similar systems. Not sure how relevent they are to guix at this point, at least... live well, vagrant