Hi, I think Guix's tooling is OK but it could be better. As a user -- and I'm really trying to be a user and not a developer :-) -- my main interactions with a Guix system are installing, searching, and upgrading. Sometimes mucking about with profiles, sometimes more involved things, but usually installing, searching, and upgrading, in that order. So to me the guix package command is a bit overkill for my uses and I always forget which options are which (often typing "guix install" only to be told there is no such thing, likewise for search, and is it search with big -S or little -s?). I spend a lot of my time with guix looking at the --help output (and I still don't know why "guix help package" doesn't give me anything useful). I know that guix package is definitely the core interface, and the one that Guix wants. However I would like to plead for adding more special-purpose subset interfaces :) They will make user life better. Attached is a patch to implement "guix install". It just copies over functionality from guix package. We could refactor more but I would start with this as it is; when things need changes is the time to refactor, at least for me. What do you think? :) Regards, Andy