Hello! zerodaysfordays@sdf.lonestar.org (Jakob L. Kreuze) skribis: > Ludovic Courtès writes: [...] >> Can we remove ‘with-output-to-string’? I’d rather see what’s going on. >> :-) >> >> If that’s too verbose, we can use ‘invoke/quiet’. > > I'm not too concerned with verbosity; rather, in the case for 'guix > deploy', the script's output mixes with the REPL output and that causes > 'remote-eval' to fail with a match error. I think it would be better to > continue using 'with-output-to-string', but to preseve its return value > so we can show it to the user from 'guix deploy' or 'guix system > reconfigure'. Users of 'guix deploy' would also be able to see the > script's output this way. Oh, I see. So in a way the problem is that ‘remote-eval’ doesn’t do anything sensible with the output and error ports of that remote evaluation. Ultimately we should probably fix (guix inferior) and (guix remote) so that stdout and stderr are properly transmitted. In the meantime, what about this patch?