On Tue, Sep 14 2021, Lars-Dominik Braun wrote: > Hi, > >> AFAIK, ‘-next’ packages are usually unstable versions of the regular >> version, e.g., ‘emacs-next’ and ‘guile-next’. ‘ghc-8.10’ is a stable >> release, so I am not sure if the ‘-next’ prefix is appropriate. > that is true, but I don’t see any other way to make > > guix environment --pure --ad-hoc ghc ghc-aeson -- ghci > > import Data.Aeson > > do “the right thing” by default. We could also argue that from > Guix’s point of view GHC 8.8/8.10 is (right now) unstable, because our > entire set of Haskell packages is built with GHC 8.6 (and thus untested > with higher versions of base). We also have python-next@3.9.2 on master > with (I think) exactly the same purpose. So, unless there’s any strong > objections I’ll be bold and rename GHC>8.6 to ghc-next, explaining > the situation in a comment. Ah, from Guix’s perspective GHC>8.6 would be unstable I guess. Feel free to push! :-) >> But seeing as there isn’t much interest in a >> Haskell update, applying to ‘master’ seems like a better idea. > I’m counting three people (John, you and me) interested in getting > Haskell back into shape, so let’s just do it :) That would be great! :-)