all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* LVM v. LUKS @ manual partitioning
@ 2024-05-20  2:00 Braswell Business Communications Services Inc.
From: Braswell Business Communications Services Inc. @ 2024-05-20  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Greetings all:

I’m installing Guix manually because I need to use logical volume management (lvm2) to configure partitions shared between a 60 GiB SSD (which is the only drive the GUI installer can see) and a 4 TB SATA.

I’ve encountered the following difficulty:

After configuring the LVM to my needs, I then cannot mount the target root file system that has the /mapper/my-partition LUKS2 config with its my-root label set by the mkfs.ext4 command.  So, I can’t proceed with the installation without the target being mounted.

Thanks in advance for your kind help or advice!
~
C.G.

* Re: LVM v. LUKS @ manual partitioning
@ 2024-05-22  5:16 ` Felix Lechner via
From: Felix Lechner via @ 2024-05-22  5:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Braswell Business Communications Services Inc., help-guix

Hi C.G.,

On Sun, May 19 2024, Braswell Business Communications Services Inc. wrote:

> After configuring the LVM to my needs, I then cannot mount the target
> root file system

I use LVM2 a lot but have not used LUKS2.  (Guix may not support all
LUKS2 key types.)  Will you please post your system configuration?

Kind regards
Felix

* Re: LVM v. LUKS @ manual partitioning
@ 2024-05-22  8:12   ` Yann Dupont
From: Yann Dupont @ 2024-05-22  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

On 22/05/2024 07:16, Felix Lechner via wrote:
> Hi C.G.,
>
> On Sun, May 19 2024, Braswell Business Communications Services Inc. wrote:
>
>> After configuring the LVM to my needs, I then cannot mount the target
>> root file system
> I use LVM2 a lot but have not used LUKS2.  (Guix may not support all
> LUKS2 key types.)  Will you please post your system configuration?
>
> Kind regards
> Felix

Hi all, for me LVM2 activation is broken on VM or bare metal, see
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/66586

@Felix, are you using LVM2 in this case ?

Regards,

--
Yann Dupont - GLiCID / HPC Pays de la Loire
Tel : 02.53.48.49.39 - Mail/Jabber : Yann.Dupont@univ-nantes.fr

* Re: LVM v. LUKS @ manual partitioning
@ 2024-05-22  8:23   ` Yann Dupont
From: Yann Dupont @ 2024-05-22  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

@ 2024-05-23 12:37     ` Felix Lechner via
From: Felix Lechner via @ 2024-05-23 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yann Dupont, help-guix

Hi Yann,

On Wed, May 22 2024, Yann Dupont wrote:

> @Felix, are you using LVM2 in this case ?

Yes.  For examples, see here [1] here [2] and here [3].

By the way, there is no LVM1---in case that was part of the question.

Kind regards
Felix

[1] https://codeberg.org/lechner/system-config/src/commit/215fc20a29e553fd8108ba737d557ecb98279540/host/lechner-laptop/operating-system.scm#L36-L40
[2] https://codeberg.org/lechner/system-config/src/commit/215fc20a29e553fd8108ba737d557ecb98279540/host/lechner-desktop/operating-system.scm#L111-L114
[3] https://codeberg.org/lechner/system-config/src/commit/215fc20a29e553fd8108ba737d557ecb98279540/host/wallace-server/operating-system.scm#L1219-L1222

* Re: LVM v. LUKS @ manual partitioning
@ 2024-05-23 13:22       ` Yann Dupont
From: Yann Dupont @ 2024-05-23 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felix Lechner, help-guix

On 23/05/2024 14:37, Felix Lechner wrote:
> Hi Yann,
Hi Felix,

> On Wed, May 22 2024, Yann Dupont wrote:
>
>> @Felix, are you using LVM2 in this case ?
> Yes.  For examples, see here [1] here [2] and here [3].

there's definitely something weird, from the moment LVM2 was upgraded to
2.03.22 (last summer!), our vm's that use LVM2 no longer have access to
devices. It worked before, and I've been able to trace it to activation,
which is done incorrectly because it depends on systemd (hence my patch,
which fixes it, at least in our case).

I don't understand how this can work without activation... A "race
condition" that only appears in VMs and not on bare metal?

Regards,

--

@ 2024-05-23 13:34         ` Felix Lechner via
From: Felix Lechner via @ 2024-05-23 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yann Dupont, help-guix

Hi Yann,

On Thu, May 23 2024, Yann Dupont wrote:

> I don't understand how this can work without activation...

Will you please share your configuration?

Kind regards
Felix