Chris Marusich writes: [...] Thank you for the helpful comments. I have revised the diagram accordingly. Please let me know if I missed something. >>> * "Guix system services": consider renaming "Guix" to "GuixSD". >> >> One issue with "GuixSD" is that GuixSD does not exist independently of >> Guix, e.g., you can not install Guix without getting GuixSD tools and >> packages. FWIW, thinking that these were separate caused a lot of >> confusion for me in the first few weeks of using GuixSD. >> >> From a Guix-centric point of view, whether your system is running "Guix >> system services" or "Debian system services" only depends on whether you >> have gotten around to running 'guix system init'. This is actually an >> incredibly powerful and, so far, "not much talked about" feature of >> Guix. But untill we know how we want to present this feature to the >> world, I think we should go easy on pushing the idea that Guix and >> GuixSD are so separate. > > Since I haven't run Guix on a foreign distro yet, I might not understand > this point as well as you do. Are you saying that you can run "Guix > system services" on Debian at startup if you run "guix system init"? I am saying you can "upgrade" your computer from, say, Guix on Debian to GuixSD by doing ... mount /dev/sdX /mnt guix system init /mnt/etc/config.scm /mnt ... where /dev/sdX is a new system disk. With more complicated maneuvers you can no doubt convert an existing system disk. - George