all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* guix-edit  shows "Autodoc not available..." w/ 2 REPLs
@ 2016-07-11 15:09 myglc2
From: myglc2 @ 2016-07-11 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Running guix/debian ...

When I do 'M-x guix-edit RET screen RET' I get ...

"Autodoc not available (No Geiser REPL for this buffer (try M-x run-geiser))"

... This puzzles me because guix already has 2 REPLs running ...

 *  * Guile REPL *          1228 REPL             (Guile REPL<1> run)
 *  *Guix REPL*              312 REPL             (Guile REPL run)

So... I wonder, should I really need to start up another REPL?

Or...  is something fishy with my setup?

My .emacs.d/init.el file contains ...

***
;; start: guix emacs setup ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

;; to run emacs interface from git checkout and have guix-edit operate
;; on git checkout files
(let ((dir "/home/g1/dev/guix/emacs"))
  (add-to-list 'load-path dir)
  (setq guix-load-path dir))
(require 'guix-init nil t)

 ;; to read the guix manual from git checkout
(with-eval-after-load 'info
  (info-initialize)
  (add-to-list 'Info-directory-list
	       "/home/g1/dev/guix/doc"))

;; from 8.3 The Perfect Setup
;; [...]
;; For convenient Guix development, make sure to augment Guile’s load
;; path so that it finds source files from your checkout:
;; TK check to make sure this is really necessary
(with-eval-after-load 'geiser-guile
  (add-to-list 'geiser-guile-load-path "~/dev/guix"))

;; from #guix for guix compatible diffs
(setq ediff-patch-options "-b -f")

;; TK add paredit

;; end: guix emacs setup ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
***

Running this git checkout ...
* master                                   fda746b [behind 6] gnu: menu-cache: Update to 1.0.1.

guix config ...

g1@e3b:~/dev/guix$ stat /home/g1/.config/guix/latest | grep File:
  File: ‘/home/g1/.config/guix/latest’ -> ‘../../dev/guix’

  /home/g1:
.guix-profile -> /var/guix/profiles/per-user/g1/guix-profile

~/.profile contains ...

***
# guix
export GUIX_LOCPATH=$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale
GUIX_PROFILE="$HOME/.guix-profile"
source "$HOME/.guix-profile/etc/profile"
***

* Re: guix-edit  shows "Autodoc not available..." w/ 2 REPLs
@ 2016-07-12  8:16 ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2016-07-12  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: myglc2; +Cc: help-guix

myglc2 (2016-07-11 18:09 +0300) wrote:

> Running guix/debian ...
>
> When I do 'M-x guix-edit RET screen RET' I get ...
>
> "Autodoc not available (No Geiser REPL for this buffer (try M-x run-geiser))"

Ouch, I've just answered you on #guix (using sneek).

This error is harmless.  It comes from Geiser and happens when you work
with any scheme file and did not start Geiser REPL.

Guix REPL is used only by "M-x guix-..." commands (to show/install
packages, open package files, etc.).  Guix REPL does not interfere with
a usual editing of scheme files.  I mean "M-x guix-edit ..." just opens
a scheme file with the package definition, and that's it.  If you need a
Geiser REPL (but it's unlikely you need it) while working with this
file, you can start it with C-c C-z.

BTW, if you don't want to use Geiser at all, you can disable it with
(setq geiser-mode-auto-p nil).  With this setting, scheme files will not
enable 'geiser-mode', so you will not see that autodoc error anymore.

> ... This puzzles me because guix already has 2 REPLs running ...
>
>  *  * Guile REPL *          1228 REPL             (Guile REPL<1> run)
>  *  *Guix REPL*              312 REPL             (Guile REPL run)
>
> So... I wonder, should I really need to start up another REPL?
>
> Or...  is something fishy with my setup?

No, it's OK.

> My .emacs.d/init.el file contains ...
>
> ***
> ;; start: guix emacs setup ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
>
> ;; to run emacs interface from git checkout and have guix-edit operate
> ;; on git checkout files
> (let ((dir "/home/g1/dev/guix/emacs"))
>   (add-to-list 'load-path dir)
>   (setq guix-load-path dir))
> (require 'guix-init nil t)

This should be (require 'guix-autoloads nil t) nowadays.  If you open
*Messages* buffer (C-h e), you can find the following message there:

  (require 'guix-init) is obsolete, use (require 'guix-autoloads) instead.

Try "M-x find-library guix-init" to see what it does.

--
Alex

* Re: guix-edit  shows "Autodoc not available..." w/ 2 REPLs
@ 2016-07-12 14:22   ` myglc2
From: myglc2 @ 2016-07-12 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com> writes:

> myglc2 (2016-07-11 18:09 +0300) wrote:
>
>> Running guix/debian ...
>>
>> When I do 'M-x guix-edit RET screen RET' I get ...
>>
>> "Autodoc not available (No Geiser REPL for this buffer (try M-x run-geiser))"
>
> Ouch, I've just answered you on #guix (using sneek).

Thanks, sorry I missed your IRC response. I'm not familiar with
sneek. Can you provide a reference?

> This error is harmless.  It comes from Geiser and happens when you work
> with any scheme file and did not start Geiser REPL.
>
> Guix REPL is used only by "M-x guix-..." commands (to show/install
> packages, open package files, etc.).  Guix REPL does not interfere with
> a usual editing of scheme files.  I mean "M-x guix-edit ..." just opens
> a scheme file with the package definition, and that's it.  If you need a
> Geiser REPL (but it's unlikely you need it) while working with this
> file, you can start it with C-c C-z.

I was thinking autodoc might help me understand guix/guile. No?

I am trying to get all the bells and whistles working. In search of a
more perfect setup, I switched back to GuixSD, so comments below relate
to GuixSD. Now, when I 'M-x guix-edit RET screen' & 'M-x run-geiser' I
get auto doc works and I see these buffers:

 MR Name                    Size Mode             Filename/Process
  -- ----                    ---- ----             ----------------
 *  * Guile REPL *           635 REPL             (Guile REPL<1> run)
 *  *Guix REPL*              312 REPL             (Guile REPL run)
 *  *Guix Internal ...       312 REPL             (*Guix Internal REPL*
 open)

Can you comment on whom/what each of these REPLs is used by/for?

If I want to use a REPL, which one should I use?

Would it make sense to add this info to the doc?

> BTW, if you don't want to use Geiser at all, you can disable it with
> (setq geiser-mode-auto-p nil).  With this setting, scheme files will not
> enable 'geiser-mode', so you will not see that autodoc error anymore.

OK, but I am going in the other direction, trying to get '8.3 The
Perfect Setup' working. Right now, unless I manually start the 3rd REPL,
these commands: ‘C-c . u’ ‘C-c . b’, ‘C-c . s’, ‘C-c . l’, all produce
'or: Geiser REPL not found' in *Messages*.

Is this normal?

If so, would it be a helpful enhancement if guix-emacs started the 3rd
REPL automatically?

>> My .emacs.d/init.el file contains ...
>>
>> ***
>> ;; start: guix emacs setup ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
>>
>> ;; to run emacs interface from git checkout and have guix-edit operate
>> ;; on git checkout files
>> (let ((dir "/home/g1/dev/guix/emacs"))
>>   (add-to-list 'load-path dir)
>>   (setq guix-load-path dir))
>> (require 'guix-init nil t)
>
> This should be (require 'guix-autoloads nil t) nowadays.  If you open
> *Messages* buffer (C-h e), you can find the following message there:
>
>   (require 'guix-init) is obsolete, use (require 'guix-autoloads)
>   instead.
>
> Try "M-x find-library guix-init" to see what it does.

Nice.

Many thanks - George

* Re: guix-edit  shows "Autodoc not available..." w/ 2 REPLs
@ 2016-07-12 20:56     ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2016-07-12 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: myglc2; +Cc: help-guix

myglc2 (2016-07-12 17:22 +0300) wrote:

> Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> myglc2 (2016-07-11 18:09 +0300) wrote:
>>
>>> Running guix/debian ...
>>>
>>> When I do 'M-x guix-edit RET screen RET' I get ...
>>>
>>> "Autodoc not available (No Geiser REPL for this buffer (try M-x run-geiser))"
>>
>> Ouch, I've just answered you on #guix (using sneek).
>
> Thanks, sorry I missed your IRC response. I'm not familiar with
> sneek. Can you provide a reference?

Just join #guix and say hello.  Sneek (the bot) will send you my answer.

>> This error is harmless.  It comes from Geiser and happens when you work
>> with any scheme file and did not start Geiser REPL.
>>
>> Guix REPL is used only by "M-x guix-..." commands (to show/install
>> packages, open package files, etc.).  Guix REPL does not interfere with
>> a usual editing of scheme files.  I mean "M-x guix-edit ..." just opens
>> a scheme file with the package definition, and that's it.  If you need a
>> Geiser REPL (but it's unlikely you need it) while working with this
>> file, you can start it with C-c C-z.
>
> I was thinking autodoc might help me understand guix/guile. No?

Probably.  I think Geiser is a big helper if you work with Scheme in
Emacs.

> I am trying to get all the bells and whistles working. In search of a
> more perfect setup, I switched back to GuixSD, so comments below relate
> to GuixSD. Now, when I 'M-x guix-edit RET screen' & 'M-x run-geiser' I
> get auto doc works and I see these buffers:
>
>  MR Name                    Size Mode             Filename/Process
>   -- ----                    ---- ----             ----------------
>  *  * Guile REPL *           635 REPL             (Guile REPL<1> run)

This is the Geiser REPL that you started manually.  It can be helful
when you work with scheme files.  See the Geiser manual :-)

>  *  *Guix REPL*              312 REPL             (Guile REPL run)
>  *  *Guix Internal ...       312 REPL             (*Guix Internal REPL*

These REPLs are started automatically when you run one of "M-x guix..."
command.  They are used to get various info (on packages, generations,
licenses), to install packages, etc.  They are not intended to be used
as general Guile REPLs.  There is a reason why there are 2 REPLs instead
of a single one (if you are interested you may "M-x find-library
guix-backend" and read the starting commentary).  Although it would
probably be better to hide the "internal" repl to make it less confusing
for users.

> Can you comment on whom/what each of these REPLs is used by/for?
>
> If I want to use a REPL, which one should I use?

The Geiser one (by default it is called "* Guile REPL *").  Actually,
you are free to do whatever you want (I do whatever I want all the
time).

> Would it make sense to add this info to the doc?

Sorry, what info do you mean?

>> BTW, if you don't want to use Geiser at all, you can disable it with
>> (setq geiser-mode-auto-p nil).  With this setting, scheme files will not
>> enable 'geiser-mode', so you will not see that autodoc error anymore.
>
> OK, but I am going in the other direction, trying to get '8.3 The
> Perfect Setup' working. Right now, unless I manually start the 3rd REPL,
> these commands: ‘C-c . u’ ‘C-c . b’, ‘C-c . s’, ‘C-c . l’, all produce
> 'or: Geiser REPL not found' in *Messages*.
>
> Is this normal?

Yes, because the Geiser REPL is not started.  These commands are
additions to the Geiser functionality, they work only when you have a
running Geiser REPL.  The same will happen with usual Geiser commands,
like 'C-x C-e' or 'M-.'.

> If so, would it be a helpful enhancement if guix-emacs started the 3rd
> REPL automatically?

No!  This relates to a usual editing of .scm files.  When you open .scm
file, the Geiser REPL is not started automatically, and it shouldn't!  I
think this would be a malicious behavior.  It's up to a user to decide
how (s)he wants to edit his/her files (in this case: with or without a
help of Geiser).

--
Alex

* Re: guix-edit  shows "Autodoc not available..." w/ 2 REPLs
@ 2016-07-14  0:12       ` myglc2
From: myglc2 @ 2016-07-14  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com> writes:

> myglc2 (2016-07-12 17:22 +0300) wrote:
>
>> Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Ouch, I've just answered you on #guix (using sneek).
>>
>> Thanks, sorry I missed your IRC response. I'm not familiar with
>> sneek. Can you provide a reference?
>
> Just join #guix and say hello.  Sneek (the bot) will send you my answer.

Thank you.

>>> This error is harmless.  It comes from Geiser and happens when you work
>>> with any scheme file and did not start Geiser REPL.
>>>
>>> Guix REPL is used only by "M-x guix-..." commands (to show/install
>>> packages, open package files, etc.).  Guix REPL does not interfere with
>>> a usual editing of scheme files.  I mean "M-x guix-edit ..." just opens
>>> a scheme file with the package definition, and that's it.  If you need a
>>> Geiser REPL (but it's unlikely you need it) while working with this
>>> file, you can start it with C-c C-z.
>>
>> I was thinking autodoc might help me understand guix/guile. No?
>
> Probably.  I think Geiser is a big helper if you work with Scheme in
> Emacs.
>
>> I am trying to get all the bells and whistles working. In search of a
>> more perfect setup, I switched back to GuixSD, so comments below relate
>> to GuixSD. Now, when I 'M-x guix-edit RET screen' & 'M-x run-geiser' I
>> get auto doc works and I see these buffers:
>>
>>  MR Name                    Size Mode             Filename/Process
>>   -- ----                    ---- ----             ----------------
>>  *  * Guile REPL *           635 REPL             (Guile REPL<1> run)
>
> This is the Geiser REPL that you started manually.  It can be helful
> when you work with scheme files.  See the Geiser manual :-)
>
>>  *  *Guix REPL*              312 REPL             (Guile REPL run)
>>  *  *Guix Internal ...       312 REPL             (*Guix Internal REPL*
>
> These REPLs are started automatically when you run one of "M-x guix..."
> command.  They are used to get various info (on packages, generations,
> licenses), to install packages, etc.  They are not intended to be used
> as general Guile REPLs.  There is a reason why there are 2 REPLs instead
> of a single one (if you are interested you may "M-x find-library
> guix-backend" and read the starting commentary).  Although it would
> probably be better to hide the "internal" repl to make it less confusing
> for users.
>
>> Can you comment on whom/what each of these REPLs is used by/for?
>>
>> If I want to use a REPL, which one should I use?
>
> The Geiser one (by default it is called "* Guile REPL *").  Actually,
> you are free to do whatever you want (I do whatever I want all the
> time).
>
>> Would it make sense to add this info to the doc?
>
> Sorry, what info do you mean?

I mean add an explanation along the lines of what your wrote above to
the documentation.  Maybe in a background or how it works section.

>>> BTW, if you don't want to use Geiser at all, you can disable it with
>>> (setq geiser-mode-auto-p nil).  With this setting, scheme files will not
>>> enable 'geiser-mode', so you will not see that autodoc error anymore.
>>
>> OK, but I am going in the other direction, trying to get '8.3 The
>> Perfect Setup' working. Right now, unless I manually start the 3rd REPL,
>> these commands: ‘C-c . u’ ‘C-c . b’, ‘C-c . s’, ‘C-c . l’, all produce
>> 'or: Geiser REPL not found' in *Messages*.
>>
>> Is this normal?
>
> Yes, because the Geiser REPL is not started.  These commands are
> additions to the Geiser functionality, they work only when you have a
> running Geiser REPL.  The same will happen with usual Geiser commands,
> like 'C-x C-e' or 'M-.'.
>
>> If so, would it be a helpful enhancement if guix-emacs started the 3rd
>> REPL automatically?
>
> No!  This relates to a usual editing of .scm files.  When you open .scm
> file, the Geiser REPL is not started automatically, and it shouldn't!  I
> think this would be a malicious behavior.

I don't understand why this would be malicious. Could you explain?

> It's up to a user to decide how (s)he wants to edit his/her files (in
> this case: with or without a help of Geiser).

Agreed. But I would prefer for Guix by default to start the REPL and
provide a way for me to disable this behavior if I like ;-)

In general, I think it would be better for commands like 'C-c . l' to
work instead of: beeping and giving the message "or: Geiser REPL not
found".  Such messages tend to give the first impression that something
is not working properly :-(

In general, if there are commands that don't work in a vanilla install,
the doc should indicate that they don't work without additional
setup/action, what that setup/action is, and what a user sees if that
setup/action has not been done.

But, as far as possible, I think you should try to make everything work
in a vanilla install, even if it means setting some Guix options in a
way that a power user will not prefer. This way it will be a power user
changing an option and seeing a message like "or: Geiser REPL not
found" and he/she will be able to figure it out ;-)

* Re: guix-edit  shows "Autodoc not available..." w/ 2 REPLs
@ 2016-07-15 17:31         ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2016-07-15 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: myglc2; +Cc: help-guix

myglc2 (2016-07-14 03:12 +0300) wrote:

> Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> myglc2 (2016-07-12 17:22 +0300) wrote:
[...]
>>> Would it make sense to add this info to the doc?
>>
>> Sorry, what info do you mean?
>
> I mean add an explanation along the lines of what your wrote above to
> the documentation.  Maybe in a background or how it works section.

OK, maybe someday :-)

[...]
>>> If so, would it be a helpful enhancement if guix-emacs started the 3rd
>>> REPL automatically?
>>
>> No!  This relates to a usual editing of .scm files.  When you open .scm
>> file, the Geiser REPL is not started automatically, and it shouldn't!  I
>> think this would be a malicious behavior.
>
> I don't understand why this would be malicious. Could you explain?

When I open ".py" file, the Python REPL is not started automatically,
when I open ".scm" file, the Geiser REPL should not be started
automatically, etc.  This is normal!  If you want to have such kind of
interactive programming, you need to start the REPL yourself.

>> It's up to a user to decide how (s)he wants to edit his/her files (in
>> this case: with or without a help of Geiser).
>
> Agreed. But I would prefer for Guix by default to start the REPL and
> provide a way for me to disable this behavior if I like ;-)

No!  You want to break a normal behavior.  REPLs are not started
automatically when you open a file for editing.

> In general, I think it would be better for commands like 'C-c . l' to
> work instead of: beeping and giving the message "or: Geiser REPL not
> found". Such messages tend to give the first impression that something
> is not working properly :-(

Then running "C-x C-e" (geiser-eval-last-sexp) in .scm buffer should
give you the same impression, as it gives the same error if REPL is not
running.

This is normal, and I mean not only for Guix or for Geiser, but for
these kinds of interactive programming (using REPLs) in Emacs.

BTW I think this Geiser error is quite informative as it tells you what
to do.

> In general, if there are commands that don't work in a vanilla install,
> the doc should indicate that they don't work without additional
> setup/action, what that setup/action is, and what a user sees if that
> setup/action has not been done.

The commands work in vanilla install!  All you need is "M-x run-geiser"
as the Geiser error tells.  But the documentation can always be improved
of course.

I think you are just not used to editing files using REPLs.  Did you
ever use Geiser or SLIME or other REPLs in Emacs before?

--
Alex

* Re: guix-edit  shows "Autodoc not available..." w/ 2 REPLs
@ 2016-07-16 15:07           ` myglc2
From: myglc2 @ 2016-07-16 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com> writes:

> myglc2 (2016-07-14 03:12 +0300) wrote:
>
>> Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> myglc2 (2016-07-12 17:22 +0300) wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> Sorry, what info do you mean?
>>
>> I mean add an explanation along the lines of what your wrote above to
>> the documentation.  Maybe in a background or how it works section.
>
> OK, maybe someday :-)

Would it be helpful if I submit a patch plagiarizing your explanation?

> [...]
>>>
>>> No!  This relates to a usual editing of .scm files.  When you open .scm
>>> file, the Geiser REPL is not started automatically, and it shouldn't!  I
>>> think this would be a malicious behavior.
>>
>> I don't understand why this would be malicious. Could you explain?
>
> When I open ".py" file, the Python REPL is not started automatically,

True, but doesn't a savvy python hacker typically set up their emacs
configuration to start python REPLs automatically? I know this is what I
did when I needed to do a bit of python hacking recently.

> when I open ".scm" file, the Geiser REPL should not be started
> automatically, etc.  This is normal!  If you want to have such kind of
> interactive programming, you need to start the REPL yourself.

I don't care what is "normal." I just want guix to start the REPL.  Is
there any reason other than this not being "normal"?

>>> It's up to a user to decide how (s)he wants to edit his/her files (in
>>> this case: with or without a help of Geiser).

Yes, if you view the file as only a Guile file and emacs as a primitive
editor, this may be so. But this is a guix recipe and you are in guix
mode. So I think guix could do more to help the user.

>> Agreed. But I would prefer for Guix by default to start the REPL and
>> provide a way for me to disable this behavior if I like ;-)
>
> No!  You want to break a normal behavior.  REPLs are not started
> automatically when you open a file for editing.
>
>> In general, I think it would be better for commands like 'C-c . l' to
>> work instead of: beeping and giving the message "or: Geiser REPL not
>> found". Such messages tend to give the first impression that something
>> is not working properly :-(
>
> Then running "C-x C-e" (geiser-eval-last-sexp) in .scm buffer should
> give you the same impression, as it gives the same error if REPL is not
> running.
>
> This is normal, and I mean not only for Guix or for Geiser, but for
> these kinds of interactive programming (using REPLs) in Emacs.

So 'C-x C-e' in my emacs init file works instead of requiring that I
open an elisp REPL. Is this normal or abnormal?

ess-mode (ESS for R http://ess.r-project.org) provides key bindings to
evaluate R objects and the first you use one, ESS finds R and opens a
REPL. Is the normal or abnormal?

IMO it is strange that when I do 'C-c . l' (a guix key binding) guix
does not help me by opening a REPL if I need one.  This makes me think:
Is guix being stingy?  It guix trying to make me crazy?

> BTW I think this Geiser error is quite informative as it tells you what
> to do.
>
>> In general, if there are commands that don't work in a vanilla install,
>> the doc should indicate that they don't work without additional
>> setup/action, what that setup/action is, and what a user sees if that
>> setup/action has not been done.
>
> The commands work in vanilla install!  All you need is "M-x run-geiser"
> as the Geiser error tells.

Yes, and if I am a Geiser user this would seem normal. But I am a guix
user. I don't know from Geiser. Must I be plunged immediately into
geiser land?

> But the documentation can always be improved of course.
>
> I think you are just not used to editing files using REPLs.

Well, I choose emacs modes that manage the "care and feeding" of REPLs
for me ;-) This is what users expect a good IDE to do. So I think this
is what 'guix edit <package>' should do ;-)

> Did you ever use Geiser or SLIME or other REPLs in Emacs before?

Yes and No. ESS for the past 5 years. Now in Geiser noobie mode.

So back to my question:

>> I don't understand why this would be malicious. Could you explain?

For me "malicious" means intending to do harm.

Is there a way that starting the REPL automatically can cause harm?

* Re: guix-edit  shows "Autodoc not available..." w/ 2 REPLs
@ 2016-07-18 13:05         ` myglc2
From: myglc2 @ 2016-07-18 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

myglc2 <myglc2@gmail.com> writes:

> Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com> writes:
[...]
>> It's up to a user to decide how (s)he wants to edit his/her files (in
>> this case: with or without a help of Geiser).
>
> Agreed. But I would prefer for Guix by default to start the REPL and
> provide a way for me to disable this behavior if I like ;-)

Reading the geiser doc I see that ...

(setq geiser-mode-start-repl-p t)

... in emacs init provides this behavior.

* Re: guix-edit  shows "Autodoc not available..." w/ 2 REPLs
@ 2016-07-19 16:39           ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2016-07-19 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: myglc2; +Cc: help-guix

myglc2 (2016-07-18 16:05 +0300) wrote:

> myglc2 <myglc2@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com> writes:
> [...]
>>> It's up to a user to decide how (s)he wants to edit his/her files (in
>>> this case: with or without a help of Geiser).
>>
>> Agreed. But I would prefer for Guix by default to start the REPL and
>> provide a way for me to disable this behavior if I like ;-)
>
> Reading the geiser doc I see that ...
>
> (setq geiser-mode-start-repl-p t)
>
> ... in emacs init provides this behavior.

Wow, I never knew about this var.  If `t' was its default value, I would
call it a malicious default :-)

We definitely have opposite views on good defaults.

--
Alex

* Re: guix-edit  shows "Autodoc not available..." w/ 2 REPLs
@ 2016-07-19 17:54             ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2016-07-19 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: myglc2; +Cc: help-guix

myglc2 (2016-07-16 18:07 +0300) wrote:

> Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> myglc2 (2016-07-14 03:12 +0300) wrote:

>> [...]
>>>
>>> I mean add an explanation along the lines of what your wrote above to
>>> the documentation.  Maybe in a background or how it works section.
>>
>> OK, maybe someday :-)
>
> Would it be helpful if I submit a patch plagiarizing your explanation?

Sure, if you think the documentation is lacking, go for it!  The patches
are always welcome.

>> [...]
>>>
>>> I don't understand why this would be malicious. Could you explain?
>>
>> When I open ".py" file, the Python REPL is not started automatically,
>
> True, but doesn't a savvy python hacker typically set up their emacs
> configuration to start python REPLs automatically? I know this is what I
> did when I needed to do a bit of python hacking recently.

I can speak only for myself: I would never do this thing.  Starting a
REPL automatically after a file open is such a strange thing for me,
that I didn't even think before that someone would want it.

>> when I open ".scm" file, the Geiser REPL should not be started
>> automatically, etc.  This is normal!  If you want to have such kind of
>> interactive programming, you need to start the REPL yourself.
>
> I don't care what is "normal." I just want guix to start the REPL.  Is
> there any reason other than this not being "normal"?

Ha, the same for me!  I also don't care what is normal, and I always
change default behaviour to what I like.  The reason is: I don't want to
start a REPL automatically.  And I really think you are in minority with
your wish.

I'm very sorry for not responding to the rest (you write a lot! :-)).
The bottom line: I don't like when a REPL is started automatically after
a file open, and I think (it's just my impression) that most people
don't like it as well.

Moreover, even if you vision of default behaviour is right, I think you
should "attack" (in a good sense) Geiser to change the default value of
'geiser-mode-start-repl-p' variable that you discovered.

--
Alex

* Re: guix-edit  shows "Autodoc not available..." w/ 2 REPLs
@ 2016-07-19 21:18               ` myglc2
From: myglc2 @ 2016-07-19 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com> writes:

> myglc2 (2016-07-16 18:07 +0300) wrote:

[...]
> I'm very sorry for not responding to the rest (you write a lot! :-)).

NP. I appreciate what you did write ;-)

> The bottom line: I don't like when a REPL is started automatically after
> a file open, and I think (it's just my impression) that most people
> don't like it as well.

Your view may well be held by most Geiser users since the default is to
NOT START a REPL ;-)

> Moreover, even if you vision of default behaviour is right, I think you
> should "attack" (in a good sense) Geiser to change the default value of
> 'geiser-mode-start-repl-p' variable that you discovered.

I wouldn't argue this to the Geiser maintainers because I _don't feel
qualified_ to comment as a Geiser user ;-)

OTOH, I _do feel qualified_ to comment as a _new Guix user_ ;-)

More specifically, a _new Guix user with no prior Geiser/Guile
experience_ but whom is weirdly sympathetic to the Guix enterprise,
possibly as a result of having written a masters thesis on
Maclisp/PDP-10/ITS.

I can say definitively that it would have made Guix easier for me to
start using if you started the 3rd REPL automatically ;-)

Meanwhile, I have put '(setq geiser-mode-start-repl-p t)' in my emacs
init file. I will be sure to let you know when I remove it ;-)