all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* neo tty layout
@ 2016-08-13 16:15 ng0
From: ng0 @ 2016-08-13 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi,

I just installed NixOS on another system and noticed they offer neo
layout not only in X11 but also for tty. Would it be okay to replicate
this for Guix? I'll be looking into this soon for me personally, but
maybe others can benefit from it by including it in Guix.
--
♥Ⓐ  ng0
For non-prism friendly talk find me on http://www.psyced.org

* Re: neo tty layout
@ 2016-08-13 23:13 ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2016-08-13 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ng0; +Cc: help-guix

On Sat, Aug 13, 2016 at 04:15:15PM +0000, ng0 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just installed NixOS on another system and noticed they offer neo
> layout not only in X11 but also for tty. Would it be okay to replicate
> this for Guix? I'll be looking into this soon for me personally, but
> maybe others can benefit from it by including it in Guix.

Hi,

I'm not sure what the neo layout is. Is it a keyboard layout?

* Re: neo tty layout
@ 2016-08-14  9:07   ` ng0
From: ng0 @ 2016-08-14  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: help-guix

Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> writes:

> On Sat, Aug 13, 2016 at 04:15:15PM +0000, ng0 wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just installed NixOS on another system and noticed they offer neo
>> layout not only in X11 but also for tty. Would it be okay to replicate
>> this for Guix? I'll be looking into this soon for me personally, but
>> maybe others can benefit from it by including it in Guix.
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure what the neo layout is. Is it a keyboard layout?

Yes, it can be loaded in X11 in all system distributions and operating
systems I know, but that it can be loaded for tty is rare. Most system
for tty are limited to qwert{y,z} and some layouts where neo draws
inspiration from.
It's a layout specific to german keyboards and language but extends to
other areas (scientic etc): http://neo-layout.org/index_en.html
It can be loaded with `setxkbmap neo` or the desktop environment
specific tool of it.
I just need to figure out what nix patches or adds to make it available
with `loadkeys neo` outside of X11.
--

@ 2016-08-14 13:41 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2016-08-14 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ng0; +Cc: help-guix

ng0 <ng0@we.make.ritual.n0.is> writes:

> I just installed NixOS on another system and noticed they offer neo
> layout not only in X11 but also for tty. Would it be okay to replicate
> this for Guix? I'll be looking into this soon for me personally, but
> maybe others can benefit from it by including it in Guix.

In general yes, but that ultimately depends on the proposed patch.

~~ Ricardo

* Re: neo tty layout
@ 2016-08-14 16:21     ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2016-08-14 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ng0; +Cc: help-guix

ng0 (2016-08-14 12:07 +0300) wrote:

> Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> writes:
>
>> On Sat, Aug 13, 2016 at 04:15:15PM +0000, ng0 wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I just installed NixOS on another system and noticed they offer neo
>>> layout not only in X11 but also for tty. Would it be okay to replicate
>>> this for Guix? I'll be looking into this soon for me personally, but
>>> maybe others can benefit from it by including it in Guix.
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm not sure what the neo layout is. Is it a keyboard layout?
>
> Yes, it can be loaded in X11 in all system distributions and operating
> systems I know, but that it can be loaded for tty is rare. Most system
> for tty are limited to qwert{y,z} and some layouts where neo draws
> inspiration from.
> It's a layout specific to german keyboards and language but extends to
> other areas (scientic etc): http://neo-layout.org/index_en.html
> It can be loaded with `setxkbmap neo` or the desktop environment
> specific tool of it.
> I just need to figure out what nix patches or adds to make it available
> with `loadkeys neo` outside of X11.

If I undrestand it right from
<https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/master/pkgs/os-specific/linux/kbd/default.nix>,
they just download "neo.map" file and put it into appropirate dir of
'kbd' package.

See also
<http://wiki.neo-layout.org/wiki/Neo%20unter%20Linux%20einrichten/Konsole>

--
Alex

* Re: neo tty layout
@ 2016-08-14 17:36       ` ng0
From: ng0 @ 2016-08-14 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Kost; +Cc: help-guix

Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com> writes:

> ng0 (2016-08-14 12:07 +0300) wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm not sure what the neo layout is. Is it a keyboard layout?
>>
>> Yes, it can be loaded in X11 in all system distributions and operating
>> systems I know, but that it can be loaded for tty is rare. Most system
>> for tty are limited to qwert{y,z} and some layouts where neo draws
>> inspiration from.
>> It's a layout specific to german keyboards and language but extends to
>> other areas (scientic etc): http://neo-layout.org/index_en.html
>> It can be loaded with `setxkbmap neo` or the desktop environment
>> specific tool of it.
>> I just need to figure out what nix patches or adds to make it available
>> with `loadkeys neo` outside of X11.
>
> If I undrestand it right from
> <https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/master/pkgs/os-specific/linux/kbd/default.nix>,
> they just download "neo.map" file and put it into appropirate dir of
> 'kbd' package.
>
> See also
> <http://wiki.neo-layout.org/wiki/Neo%20unter%20Linux%20einrichten/Konsole>
>
> --
> Alex

Thanks, Alex. I'll take a look at how this can be done for Guix.

Compared to NixOS I have to say that Guix documentation is more natural
for me. I wasn't able to set up and boot into KDE with the help of their
documentation so far. Commands to search, install etc feel more natural
with Guix.
--

@ 2016-08-15 11:37 ` Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2016-08-15 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Am 13.08.2016 um 18:15 schrieb ng0:
>  Would it be okay to replicate this for Guix?

+1 (Currently trying to learn myself neo :-)

--
Schönen Gruß
Hartmut Goebel

Goebel Consult, Landshut
http://www.goebel-consult.de

Blog: http://www.goebel-consult.de/blog/feiertagsarbeit-bei-teletrust
Kolumne:
http://www.cissp-gefluester.de/2012-04-compliance-bringt-keine-sicherheit

* Re: neo tty layout
@ 2016-08-29 14:13   ` ng0
From: ng0 @ 2016-08-29 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hartmut Goebel, help-guix

Hi,

Hartmut Goebel <h.goebel@goebel-consult.de> writes:

> Am 13.08.2016 um 18:15 schrieb ng0:
>>  Would it be okay to replicate this for Guix?
>
> +1 (Currently trying to learn myself neo :-)

If you think you can do it and have the resources to do so, could you
take on this task?
I will probably not come back to this in a considerable long time
because it is low priority to me.

--

@ 2016-09-05 13:40     ` Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2016-09-05 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)