Katherine Cox-Buday writes: […] > In general, I like to keep packages as close to their source as > possible, but I'm slowly learning that this is not often the case when > packaging things (which is a shame and a risk in my opinion). > > But all things considered, I think this is probably the right approach > here given the feedback I'm getting. It depends. If you take a look on magit-git-executable commentary, it specifically doesn't use a full path to git binary, because of remote systems could have it in different locations. Does emacs-direnv could be used on remote machines?