Leo Famulari writes: > Our goal is to build everything from source. OK, that helps me to understand why you are doing things the way you are doing it. Indeed, this means that your efforts are incompatible with my original hope: that guix would make packaging of Java applications significantly easier. As a Java / Scala developer, I avoid all repackaged jars unless they contain a bug or security fix. I don't see why I should trust a package manager (and their machines), who are self-confessed non-experts, more than the original author of that library, who has GPG signed their artefacts and made their source code available. > I'm not a Java programmer so I can't get very deep into the specifics. I > have tried to package some Java software, though. In that case, I strongly encourage you and other GUIX contributors to halt all Java packaging efforts immediately. Please dedicate time to scope out what you're planning to do: have discussions with experienced Java developers. Find a common ground so that the jar artefact packaging is compatible with developer needs. It is most important that this is done properly from the beginning, because the longer you go down this route, the more time you will have ultimately wasted, and the harder it will be to dig yourself out of it. From what I've seen, you're solving a problem at the expense of excluding everybody who would use it. One thing I can see that would be compatible would be if you rebuilt everything as Maven artefacts, using a postfix to the versions such as -guix, and when packages are installed they get placed into exactly the location one would expect a maven artefact to go. This would allow the "GUIX build" world to co-exist with the developer's "Maven Central" world. Build tool plugins may then arise that would transparently swap between the two at the developer's request, thereby greatly simplifying your repackaging effort. > Postfixing the binary name sounds like a last-ditch attempt to keep > track of binary artifacts that have no clear provenance It would be GUIX demonstrating that the artefacts are not the same artefacts that Java developers expect to receive from Maven Central, (GPG signed by the author). It doesn't hurt you to do it this way, but it will be appreciated by all Java developers. > Several of us read this blog post [2] on the state of Java packaging > recently. It echoed my experiences trying to package Java software and > it clearly explains the potential negative consequences of the current > methods, and it says it all better than I can. > > [2] > http://www.vitavonni.de/blog/201504/2015042601-big-data-toolchains-are-a-security-risk.html I agree that Maven Central needs a distributed verification mechanism. It was designed for an era where trusting the developer's artefacts (through GPG) was enough. (The article appears to be confused on this matter, and fails to recognise that Maven Central artefacts are, in fact, GPG signed, checksummed and transmitted securely over HTTPS) I am unsubscribing from this mailing list now as I only came on to ask these questions, and I feel I have received an answer already, thank you all for answering! I will leave by encouraging GUIX to move towards a more user-focused infrastructure than mailing lists, as it is extremely difficult for people like myself who want to dip in and out to get involved. Therefore, I do not feel it is the right time for me to move to GUIX just yet. A clone of github, meeting all the FSF's ethical hosting guidelines, is absolutely essential, and I hope it is a strategic goal of GNU. If GUIX are planning to dedicate a significant amount of effort to rebuilding the entire Java universe from scratch, I would prefer that you not support Java at all (except by providing OpenJDK builds). Instead, put that effort into building a github-like community portal. Once GUIX proves the viability of reproducible builds, Java will catch up. -- Best regards, Sam