all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès)
To: guix-devel <guix-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Cross-distro reproducible build patches
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2017 10:00:48 +0100	[thread overview]

Hello Guix!

A new initiative to share repro-build patches has started as a followup
to the Reproducible Build Summit:

  http://lists.reproducible-builds.org/pipermail/rb-general/2017-January/000222.html
  https://github.com/distropatches/reproducible-builds

If anyone would like to help out by posting the patches that we have to
this repo, that would be nice.

It would scale better if we could easily list repro-build patches and
snippets from the patches that we have.

A quick hack gives this:

scheme@(guile-user)> ,use(ice-9 ftw)
scheme@(guile-user)> (define (grep file)
		       (call-with-input-file file
			 (lambda (port)
			   (let ((contents (read-string port)))
			     (or (string-contains-ci contents "reproducib")
				 (string-contains-ci contents "deterministic"))))))
;;; <stdin>:138:43: warning: possibly unbound variable `read-string'
scheme@(guile-user)> ,use(ice-9 rdelim)
scheme@(guile-user)> (chdir "/home/ludo/src/guix/gnu/packages/patches")
scheme@(guile-user)> (scandir "."
			      (lambda (file)
				(and (string-suffix? ".patch" file)
				     (grep file))))
$3 = ("awesome-reproducible-png.patch" "hdf4-reproducibility.patch" "libbonobo-activation-test-race.patch" "libxslt-generated-ids.patch" "metabat-remove-compilation-date.patch" "nasm-no-ps-pdf.patch" "perl-deterministic-ordering.patch" "python-2-deterministic-build-info.patch" "python-3-deterministic-build-info.patch" "tcl-mkindex-deterministic.patch" "unzip-remove-build-date.patch")
scheme@(guile-user)> (length $3)
$4 = 11

… but I think a number things are written as snippets rather than actual
patches.

Thoughts?

Ludo’.