Christopher Baines writes: > The bzip2 package includes wrappers around diff, grep and less/more. > These shell scripts currently include /usr/bin (and sometimes /bin) on > the PATH, and therefore fail if any of the commands that they rely on > cannot be found. > > By substituting /usr/bin (and /bin) for the appropriate package paths, > these scripts work much more reliably. Most of these dependencies are available in environments where the bz* tools will be executed. I think it would be better to simply remove the absolute /usr/bin and /bin references such that grep, sed etc invocations are picked up from PATH instead. The "xz*" equivalent tools seem to do that. The rationale being that bzip2 is often needed early in bootstrapping, and adding those inputs would complicate the dependency tree. Although I admittedly haven't looked at how bzip2 is used in Guix bootstrap. Thoughts?