George myglc2 Clemmer writes: > It appears that there are 3 ways to reach a QEMU VM desktop on headless > GuixSD servers: X11, spice, and maybe VNC. Is that right? > > Can anyone comment on which has the best performance. > > My situation: MacOS <-- 1000BaseT --> GuixSD/servers > > TIA - George I've tried X11 and VNC. X11 is easier to use and maintain if you already have SSH access, but I prefer VNC if it's available. X11 over a remote (e.g., VPN over the Internet) connection is usually no fun at all. However, if you have a local 1G link to the servers, then the X11 performance might be tolerable, in which case the simplicity of X11 might beat VNC's performance. FWIW, QEMU comes with a built-in VNC server feature, which makes it even easier to use VNC in this use case. See for example: https://qemu.weilnetz.de/doc/qemu-doc.html#vnc_005fsecurity For a VNC client, in Guix we have Vinagre, which works fine for me. -- Chris