all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to add an element 'Ungoogled Chromium with Tor' to Applications menu in Xfce4-panel on GuixSD?
@ 2019-04-07  9:50 znavko
From: znavko @ 2019-04-07  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello! I've installed Ungoogled-Chromium on GuixSD, thanks Marius Bakke for the port to guix!

I've found Chromium has settings for proxy only from command line run.
Using 'man chromium' I've got Chromium works with Tor this way:

`chromium --proxy-server="socks4://127.0.0.1:9050"`

cause tor is using port 9050:
$ netstat -lntu
Active Internet connections (only servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:9050 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:68 0.0.0.0:*
Now I want to add Applications menu element 'Chromium Tor'. But as far as guix breaks usual linux directories structure and I have no /usr/share/applications folder, want to aks how to edit or add element to Applications menu in xfce4?

* Re: How to add an element 'Ungoogled Chromium with Tor' to Applications menu in Xfce4-panel on GuixSD?
@ 2019-04-07 16:16 ` Boris A. Dekshteyn
From: Boris A. Dekshteyn @ 2019-04-07 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

znavko@disroot.org writes:

> Now I want to add Applications menu element 'Chromium Tor'. But as far as guix breaks usual linux directories structure and I have no /usr/share/applications folder, want to aks how to edit or add element to Applications menu in xfce4?

Place the .desktop file in $HOME/.local/share/applications

And it may be more convenient to use a couple of scripts, like this:

$HOME/.bin/tor.browser:
#!/bin/sh

GC_ROOT="$HOME/.environments/tor.browser.environment"
rm -rf $GC_ROOT

guix environment --root=$GC_ROOT --ad-hoc tor ungoogled-chromium -- $HOME/.applications/tor.browser.launcher

$HOME/.applications/tor.browser.launcher:
#!/bin/sh

_EX_TOR_PID=$(pidof tor)

if [ -z ${_EX_TOR_PID} ] ; then
    tor &
    _TOR_SERVICE_PID=$!
    _KILL_AFTER="t"
else
    _TOR_SERVICE_PID=$_EX_TOR_PID
fi

chromium --user-data-dir="$HOME/.config/chromium.tor" --incognito --proxy-server="socks5://localhost:9050"

if [ $_KILL_AFTER ] ; then
    kill $_TOR_SERVICE_PID
fi

  imo, of course.

--
WBR, Boris Dekshteyn

* Re: How to add an element 'Ungoogled Chromium with Tor' to Applications menu in Xfce4-panel on GuixSD?
@ 2019-04-07 19:23 ` znavko
From: znavko @ 2019-04-07 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: boris.dekshteyn, help-guix

Thank you, Boris! Works perfectly, I've changed to socks4, as my tor service works.
My chromium-tor icon: http://0x0.st/zZ2m.png