all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#47570: libvirt still embeds full path to qemu-system in saved .xml files
@ 2021-04-02 20:41 divoplade
From: divoplade @ 2021-04-02 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 47570

Hello,

I tried to add my comment to issue 31365, but it has been archived and
made read-only.

This issue is not fully fixed. I’m using gnome-boxes to create virtual
machines, and I noticed something similar to what is experienced in
this issue.

The hard-coded path is in /gnu/store/xxx-profile/, so I think it has
been found in /run/current-system/profile/bin, but the symlink has been
resolved too early.

I have recently gc’ed my system, and that’s when I noticed I could not
run my VMs anymore.

My workaround is to replace the hard-coded paths in the XML files.

Best regards,

divoplade

https://issues.guix.gnu.org/31365

* bug#47570: libvirt still embeds full path to qemu-system in saved .xml files
@ 2021-04-03 13:27 ` Maxime Devos
From: Maxime Devos @ 2021-04-03 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: divoplade, 47570

On Fri, 2021-04-02 at 22:41 +0200, divoplade wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I tried to add my comment to issue 31365, but it has been archived and
> made read-only.
> [...]

For future reference:
it is possible to unarchive and reopen issues.  I don't recall the exact
procedure, but when sending a mail to 31365@debbugs.gnu.org, debbugs should
respond with instructions on how to unarchive or re-open the issue.

The ‘archived’ status is mostly for avoiding typos in NNN@debbugs.gnu.org
mail addresses in my experience.

Greetings,
Maxime.

* bug#47570: libvirt still embeds full path to qemu-system in saved .xml files
@ 2021-04-05 18:45 ` Pierre Langlois
From: Pierre Langlois @ 2021-04-05 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: divoplade; +Cc: 47570

Hello,

divoplade writes:

> Hello,
>
> I tried to add my comment to issue 31365, but it has been archived and
> made read-only.
>
> This issue is not fully fixed. I’m using gnome-boxes to create virtual
> machines, and I noticed something similar to what is experienced in
> this issue.
>
> The hard-coded path is in /gnu/store/xxx-profile/, so I think it has
> been found in /run/current-system/profile/bin, but the symlink has been
> resolved too early.
>
> I have recently gc’ed my system, and that’s when I noticed I could not
> run my VMs anymore.
>
> My workaround is to replace the hard-coded paths in the XML files.

Ouch :-/.

Do you know at which guix commit this happened?  I'm wondering which
version of libvirt triggered this.  AFAICT, right now, if you create a
fresh VM using gnome-boxes, it initializes the xml config with the qemu
in /run/current-system/profile, which looks like the right thing to do.
I've just tested this downloading a fedora image via gnome-boxes, using
either libvirt 5.8 or 7.2 under the hood (updated just now).

Could it be that you created a VM before the bug was fixed? Which would
have left a xml config that refers to GC-able qemu in .config/libvirt,
which a guix update cannot automatically migrate (although one day it might!).

Let me know if I've got this wrong.

Thanks,
Pierre

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* bug#47570: libvirt still embeds full path to qemu-system in saved .xml files
@ 2021-04-06  6:48   ` divoplade
From: divoplade @ 2021-04-06  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Langlois; +Cc: 47570

Le lundi 05 avril 2021 à 19:45 +0100, Pierre Langlois a écrit :
> Do you know at which guix commit this happened?  I'm wondering which
> version of libvirt triggered this.  AFAICT, right now, if you create
> fresh VM using gnome-boxes, it initializes the xml config with the
> qemu
> in /run/current-system/profile, which looks like the right thing to
> do.

I think my system did not auto-upgrade for some time because of a bug
in org-html-export-to-html that broke one of my packages (the bug is,
there’s an explicit comment to indicate a license for a script and that
comment is not XHTML). I don’t know which commit did that, but the
faulty system was between that commit and 24h before. Or there was
another earlier problem, and I can’t help, sorry.

You’re right, now that I upgraded it’s fixed.

* bug#47570: libvirt still embeds full path to qemu-system in saved .xml files
@ 2021-04-06 13:56     ` Pierre Langlois
From: Pierre Langlois @ 2021-04-06 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: divoplade; +Cc: bug-guix, 47570-done