Mathieu Othacehe writes: >> I like Chris Baines’ idea of decoupling nar distribution from nar >> building. If we want to keep nars long enough so that ‘time-machine’ is >> usable, then storage requirements will keep growing. >> >> Perhaps that means we can regularly copy nars “elsewhere” for long-term >> storage, using nar-herder, rsync, or whatever. The machine that stores >> nars long-term has low requirements compared to the build farm because >> we don’t need to trust it for anything other than storage. If that >> makes things easier (and financially viable), a VPS is good enough. > > Sure, the VPS would also allow us to have a less European-centric > hosting. I did not follow closely the development of the > nar-herder. Chris what improvements this tool would bring compared to a > rsync based approach? There's some discussion of this in the README [1]. 1: https://git.cbaines.net/guix/nar-herder/about/ I think the short answer for the moment though is the nar-herder doesn't do anything that you couldn't do with rsync. I jumped straight in with Guile+SQLite rather than using rsync+files because I think the performance for various operations will scale better this way, and it'll lead on to more advanced functionality, like doing GC like operations, metrics and tagging nars.