all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: ng0 <ngillmann@runbox.com>
To: guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: question about license of unofficial translation of GPL as a sample text in dbacl (Re: notmuch users: how do you filter debbugs?)
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2016 09:21:41 +0000	[thread overview]

ng0 <ngillmann@runbox.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> "Patricia J. Hawkins" <phawkins@connact.com> writes:
>
>> I'm just getting started setting up to use notmuch (your message
>> attracted my attention to it!) but looks like the afew script is
>> designed to do this, as a companion processer ("initial tagging") for
>> notmuch.
>>
>> https://github.com/teythoon/afew
>
> I actually have that as a work in progress package, but I can no longer
> work on it.. if I really do have it, there might be further dependencies
> which are needed or a massive amount of tests which need to be patched.
> Are you interested in taking this over?

I just checked out the repository and branch I had on this, I was
failing at the test suite of dbacl which is used by afew as a
dependency.
Fixing it after not looking at it for half a year is easy. It will be
even easier when this qestion can be solved:

all sample texts have declared licenses, I delete "sample6.txt" (license
unknown, forwarded email) and "japanese.txt" (unofficial translation of
GPL). For japanese.txt I'm not sure which copyright form applies.. same
for this unclear document sample6, deleting was just to be on the safe
side.

Let me quote myself:

509    ;; The software is licensed as GPLv3 or later, but
510    ;; includes various sample texts in the doc dir:
511    ;; - sample1.txt, sample3 and sampe5.txt are in the public domain,
512    ;;   by Mark Twain.
513    ;; - sample2.txt, sample4.txt are in the public domain, by Aristotle.
514    ;; - sample6.txt is a forwarded email, copyright unknown.
515    ;;   Guix does exclude sample6.txt.
516    ;; - japanese.txt is a Japanese unoffical translation of the
517    ;;   GNU General Public License, (c) by the Free Software Foundation.
518    ;;   XXX: uncertain of license to apply. Left out for now.
519    (license '(license:gpl-3 license:public-domain))))