all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Chris Marusich <cmmarusich@gmail.com>
To: Catonano <catonano@gmail.com>
Cc: help-guix <help-guix@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: adawaita theme in Gnome
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2017 16:47:08 -0800	[thread overview]

Catonano <catonano@gmail.com> writes:

>  > So, our skillful thomasd solved an issue I had raised.
>  >
>  > In the Gnome desktop, when dragging an application toward the folating bar
>  > on the left, the whole desktop environment crashes, it restarts and you
>  > have to log on again.
>  >
>  > The problem is a missing mouse cursor, as stated here
>  > https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-02-23#T1301986
>  >
>  > And the proposed workaround works like a charm.
>  >
>  > For reference, it is
>  > 1) "mkdir -p ~/.icons/default"
>  > 2) "ln -s /run/current-system/profile/share/icons/Adwaita/cursors/
>  > ~/.icons/default/cursors"
>  >
>  > What could be a definitive solution to patch the Gnome package with ?
>
>  We cannot (and don’t want to) let Guix packages modify the user’s home
>  directory. On my system XDG_DATA_DIRS contains
>  “/run/current-system/profile/share”.
>
> On my system too. 2 times. Like this

> /run/current-system/profile/share:
> /home/my-user/.guix-profile/share:
> /run/current-system/profile/share
>
> these are the last 3 values
>
>  Is this not enough to let Gnome
>  find the cursors?
>
> It's not. I just tried again. It crashes
>
>  (The “adwaita-icon-theme” package is installed in my system profile.)
>
> The first time I had not that installed in my profile. And the crash was immediate.
>
> With that installed, it stumbles, it crashes at the second attempt
>
>  ~~ Ricardo
>
> thanks for looking into this, Ricardo

Fascinating!  I've wondered about that bug for a while.  I see that in
the chat, the following blog post was also mentioned, which describes a
little more about the problem:

https://brokkr.net/2014/02/09/gnome-crashes-because-of-a-missing-icon/

Have you asked the GNOME devs or checked the GNOME email lists to see if
this has been discussed?  Unfortunate that simply adding the directory
containing the icons to XDG_DATA_DIRS doesn't fix the problem.  Maybe
there's a different setting that needs to be configured?  I'll bet the
GNOME devs would know more...

--
Chris